cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceisenhower
Community Participant

Assigning Peer Reviews

Jump to solution

I want to assign peer reviews for an essay one week and then give students another week to revise after they get the peer reviews before they submit the final to me. It seems that I need to develop two assignments: one for the draft to include peer reviews and then another for the final to be turned in to me. Any ideas would be appreciated:) Carol

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi ceisenhower‌ - I am only approaching this from an administrator's perspective who assists faculty with Canvas, and not as someone who has actively used peer reviews in a class.  (Though I have certainly helped many figure out the feature.)  Generally, my suggestion is that your own solution is the most appropriate one, by having two separate assignments.  In theory, you CAN keep it as just one assignment and allow re-submissions, but there are several things to be aware of.  (And I just tried this out for myself to make sure my own suspicions were correct):

• You CAN keep it the same assignment so long as you do not set an UNTIL date until after the final version is due.  If done this way, students will have to RE-SUBMIT the assignment for their final version, as indicated above.
  • The initial peer review is automatically assigned after the due date if you are going the "automatic" route with assigning them.  Therefore, to avoid student confusion you will likely have to adjust the due date after the first draft is submitted.  So, the first due date is for the draft.  Then, after the first due date, the peer reviewers must be assigned.  Once all the peer reviews are in, you must then adjust the Due Date to show the date the final version is due.  (If you do not, it will, of course, indicate a "late submission" for the final version upon the re-submission.  If that's okay, then ignore it and just keep the same due date if you want to, explaining it to your students.) 
  • Do you want the original peer reviewers to see the NEW submission?  If you do, fine--they can, if they are so inclined to look.  If not, you should have the final version as a separate assignment without peer reviews.  While it's unlikely students will really want to keep checking a peer's paper after they submit their peer review, just be aware it's possible once the original student re-submits the assignment as the final version.
  • And finally, do not forget that with a RE-submission of the same assignment, any comments that you make in the crocodoc program within Speedgrader on the first submission are NOT visible anymore by the student.  This has been a known issue for awhile, and while it is on the Product Radar (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1076-student-view-view-submissions-and-comments-for-all-submis... ) there has been no update on this.

That's my $0.02.  I hope this makes sense!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi ceisenhower‌ - I am only approaching this from an administrator's perspective who assists faculty with Canvas, and not as someone who has actively used peer reviews in a class.  (Though I have certainly helped many figure out the feature.)  Generally, my suggestion is that your own solution is the most appropriate one, by having two separate assignments.  In theory, you CAN keep it as just one assignment and allow re-submissions, but there are several things to be aware of.  (And I just tried this out for myself to make sure my own suspicions were correct):

• You CAN keep it the same assignment so long as you do not set an UNTIL date until after the final version is due.  If done this way, students will have to RE-SUBMIT the assignment for their final version, as indicated above.
  • The initial peer review is automatically assigned after the due date if you are going the "automatic" route with assigning them.  Therefore, to avoid student confusion you will likely have to adjust the due date after the first draft is submitted.  So, the first due date is for the draft.  Then, after the first due date, the peer reviewers must be assigned.  Once all the peer reviews are in, you must then adjust the Due Date to show the date the final version is due.  (If you do not, it will, of course, indicate a "late submission" for the final version upon the re-submission.  If that's okay, then ignore it and just keep the same due date if you want to, explaining it to your students.) 
  • Do you want the original peer reviewers to see the NEW submission?  If you do, fine--they can, if they are so inclined to look.  If not, you should have the final version as a separate assignment without peer reviews.  While it's unlikely students will really want to keep checking a peer's paper after they submit their peer review, just be aware it's possible once the original student re-submits the assignment as the final version.
  • And finally, do not forget that with a RE-submission of the same assignment, any comments that you make in the crocodoc program within Speedgrader on the first submission are NOT visible anymore by the student.  This has been a known issue for awhile, and while it is on the Product Radar (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1076-student-view-view-submissions-and-comments-for-all-submis... ) there has been no update on this.

That's my $0.02.  I hope this makes sense!

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Without knowing some of the detail stuff that Ken mentioned, I'd say the easiest thing to do (and what I do for my courses) is to have two assignments. One for the initial peer review draft and one for the final draft. This just makes life easier for you and the students. It also helps if you're trying to assign different points for the first submission and final submission.

ceisenhower
Community Participant

Thanks so much. I think two assignments will work just fine.

Carol Eisenhower

English Professor

kpfanku
Community Member

Hi Carol,

How has creating two different assignments worked for you?

I have set my assignments up in the same way (two assignments--one for draft + peer review; one for submission of the final draft. But I don't understand how to tell Canvas I need two due dates in the first assignment (one for submitting a draft, another for completing peer review).  What am I missing?   Thank you.

James
Community Champion

@kpfanku 

Canvas does not support multiple due dates for a single assignment.

You can add an event to the calendar or create a second assignment that tells them to complete the peer review on the draft.

Adding a second assignment is the approach I would take. This allows you to assign points for both the draft and the peer review or you can make the "Display Grade As" on the second assignment "Not Graded" if you don't want to assign points separately.