cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmcclain
Community Participant

Assigning to a few students.

Jump to solution

In order to differentiate an assessment, I created two quizzes in Canvas. I assigned 17 students to the modified quiz. I would like the remaining 99 students to be assigned the other quiz. Is there a way to do that in Canvas without entering each student’s name? The option I always choose is “everyone”, but I don’t want it to be assigned to the other 17 students that are receiving a modified quiz. Is there an “everyone, except…” feature?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dmcclain ​, the short answer is no, if these are two separate quizzes and you are using the differentiate feature then you would need to pick each student who went with each quiz. If you have the ability to create sections in your course you could technically break up the two groups into sections and assign by section, but many faculty don't have this ability (it's blocked by their Institution) or find it more cumbersome than just selecting the students.

The only other work around I've seen is use the differentiate feature and set up the modified quiz as you've already done. Then assign the regular quiz to everyone, but mark the students who don't need to take that quiz as EX (excused) in the Gradebook for that quiz. The extra quiz will show up in their gradebook, but it will be shown as excused, it won't impact their grade, and they won't be able to access it. The modified quiz won't show up at all to the rest of the class (who weren't added to the quiz).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dmcclain ​, the short answer is no, if these are two separate quizzes and you are using the differentiate feature then you would need to pick each student who went with each quiz. If you have the ability to create sections in your course you could technically break up the two groups into sections and assign by section, but many faculty don't have this ability (it's blocked by their Institution) or find it more cumbersome than just selecting the students.

The only other work around I've seen is use the differentiate feature and set up the modified quiz as you've already done. Then assign the regular quiz to everyone, but mark the students who don't need to take that quiz as EX (excused) in the Gradebook for that quiz. The extra quiz will show up in their gradebook, but it will be shown as excused, it won't impact their grade, and they won't be able to access it. The modified quiz won't show up at all to the rest of the class (who weren't added to the quiz).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

tmercer
Community Participant

Does the differentiate feature allow for a quiz with a reduced amount of questions?  Could it go to the grade book just like the other non-differentiated quiz?