Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aiyer1217
Community Participant

Assignment point adjustment

Jump to solution

Hello!

I am an instructor and relatively new to CANVAS.  I am writing because currently, when my students view their grades in terms of a percent, it is on the order of 300-1000%!  I am quite sure this is because my 'total assignment' section is out of 10 points, even though the total number of points in my class is significantly more than this. 

256817_pastedImage_2.png

I am not sure how to change this.  Additionally, I have created modules for each chapter we will be covering in my class, but I have done this by including each 'chapter' as an assignment:

256786_pastedImage_1.png

These are not intended to count for points, however.   I have tried making the assignments not count towards a grade, but this does not seem to have helped.  

Any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.  Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything further!

Thank you so much!
Arjun

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @aiyer1217  

I note in your assignment list that you have a great many assignments without a stated value.  The assignments with a stated value create the total possible points in the Canvas Gradebook.When a score is entered for a student submission for an assignment without a stated value, this increase the students' actual scores without increasing the total possible scores, so you end up creating a denominator larger than the numerator creating a percentage higher than 100.

Example:

• Ten assignments worth 100 pts each, Total possible points for course.
  • Plus ten assignments with not point value, but graded by you as 100 pts each.
  • Total possible in gradebook is 1000 points but total actual could be 200 points, so students could have an achieved percentage of 200 %

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @aiyer1217  

I am not sure what is happening, but I do remember that when we first migrated to Canvas more than five years ago, we saw this problem with quite a few faculty, and it always had something to do with how they had set up extra credit, but dang if I remember what.

Could you include a screenshot of your Assignments Index page, and the settings for your assignment groups, and I will do my best to try to diagnose this problem for you, unless someone with a better memory than mine chimes in before you get those.

Kelley

aiyer1217
Community Participant

@kmeeusen ‌ thank you so much!  So I am posting what I think you mean, but please let me know if there is something else you had intended.  So, here is what I believe is my Assignments Index page: 

256780_pastedImage_1.png

Here, the "scanning EXAMs" are the actual exams, so these do have points associated with them.  However, EXAM 1, Chapter 5 (part 2), EXAM 2...these are all placeholders, and do not have any associated points.  The research paper and 'why should i care' also have associated points.     

As for 'assignment groups', at this point, I do not think I have grouped my assignments-maybe this is the problem?

256850_pastedImage_2.png

I hope this helps, but please continue to let me know what I can provide that may help clarify the issue.

Best,

Arjun

kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @aiyer1217 ‌ -  @kmeeusen ‌ is (as usual!) spot-on with thinking it may be unintentional extra credit issues.  With Kelley's permission, I would like to offer one of my "usual suspects":  Roll Call Attendance.  If there is any issue with percentages in the gradebook, that is often at the top of the list. Did you change the point value from the default of 100?  If you did, I hope it was, like...immediately.  If you changed it recently, it can cause issues.

Another thought:  do you have some assignments set to Display grade as: points while others are set to percentages?  (Other than Roll Call Attendance, which always will display as a percentage by default.)  People can get into trouble with those from to time to time.  

That's my $0.02 early in the morning.  By the way, I don't think you showed everything on your Assignments page.  (Or did you?  It just looks like it may have cut off a bit at the bottom.)  Your Gradebook might help a bit, too, but WITHOUT any student names, of course.

Hi  @aiyer1217  

I note in your assignment list that you have a great many assignments without a stated value.  The assignments with a stated value create the total possible points in the Canvas Gradebook.When a score is entered for a student submission for an assignment without a stated value, this increase the students' actual scores without increasing the total possible scores, so you end up creating a denominator larger than the numerator creating a percentage higher than 100.

Example:

• Ten assignments worth 100 pts each, Total possible points for course.
  • Plus ten assignments with not point value, but graded by you as 100 pts each.
  • Total possible in gradebook is 1000 points but total actual could be 200 points, so students could have an achieved percentage of 200 %

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

aiyer1217
Community Participant

That was very helpful and may have in fact fixed the problem: thank you!

Thanks  @aiyer1217  

I am glad we could help!