Assignment side bar intended to show unassigned assignment groups?

Jump to solution
CameronWall
Community Explorer

Hi,

I have assignment groups, which total to 60%, assigned to all students. I then have two more assignment groups, each worth 40%, with students being assigned only one of these two assignment groups. This means that each student has assignments assigned to to them totaling 100%. 

When they go to the site home page, they however see on the sidebar that the 'Assignments are weighted by group:' totals to 140%. As well as this, they see the assignment group for an assignment which they are not assigned to. This may lead to confusion for students.

Just wondering if this is an intended feature., or if I am using assignment groups incorrectly.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good morning, @CameronWall ...

I can see why this might be confusing for your students.  Although it is possible to assign specific assignments to only certain students in your course, I don't believe you can do the same with assignment groups.  For example, in your first assignment group worth 40%, I cannot find anything that would allow you to assign specific students to that assignment group.  Assigning students is something you do at more of the assignment level ... not at the assignment group level.  I tried a similar setup where I had three assignment groups (75%, 25%, and 25%).  I added one assignment to the third 25% assignment group, and I assigned a dummy student account to that assignment.  Then, I logged in as a different dummy student account.  In that student's gradebook, on the right side of the screen I could still see all three assignment groups totaling 125%.

I'm not sure if this will be of help to you or not...but thought I'd chime in to confirm that I'm also seeing this.

View solution in original post