Assignment using External Tools and Rubric Access

Jump to solution
jwitulski
Community Participant

I have rubrics set up.  When I use the external tool like Google Cloud Documents, the rubrics button is not there when I save and publish the assignment. 

I have attached pictures of two different assignments. The first two (8.39.32/8.39.40) are from the same assignment using the external tool (Google Cloud Docs) and the last photo (8.39.59) is an assignment not using the external tool.  As you can see, the last one shows the +Rubric, while the former doesn't. Some assignments I use needs to have a rubric. 

The same thing can be said for an external app like Flipgrid connected into Canvas. I have rubrics set up for the assignments but cannot access them with the external tool in use. The only buttons I see after saving/publicizing the assignment with the external tool is the two buttons: Edit Assignment Settings and Speed Grader

I did do a search in Guides, seems as if there's not a specific topic on this.  If there is one, please direct me there. 

TIA

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jwitulski ...

What you'll want to do is create your assignment like normal (without selecting an external tool) so that you can attach the rubric to it via the "+ Rubric" button.  Once your rubric is attached, edit the assignment again, but this time select the external tool that you want to incorporate with the assignment.  Save your changes to the assignment.  Even though it will appear that the rubric has disappeared and un-attached itself from the assignment, it's actually still there (or it should be).  Go to the SpeedGrader for the assignment, and then act like you are going to start grading a student's submission.  You should be able to open the rubric there.  Also, another thing to look at is the assignment from the Student View.  You should be able to carry out these steps: How do I view the rubric for my external tool assignment?

I hope this will be of help to you, Joanna.  Sing out if you have any other questions.  Be well, and stay safe.

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jwitulski , @Robert_Shahan , and @NMQ ...

I think I have some good news for all of you!  I was just taking a look at the June 21, 2023 Deploy Notes, and I noticed a section on Assignments: External Tools Add Rubric Button.  Check this out at:

Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

View solution in original post

0 Likes