Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnunes

Assignments & Pages - Copy?

Jump to solution

I have similar assignments and pages in different units, is there a way to copy assignments/pages to copy in a different unit, then edit?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cnunes , I just did some testing and I found something that works pretty well. You can do this for an entire Module or specific content items, but I found it easier to copy an entire Module.

The basic premise is that while you're in the course you go to Settings --> Import Content --> Copy a Canvas Course --> Select the SAME course you are current working in (you should get a yellow warning triangle when you do this, this is what you want) --> Select Specific Content (VERY important, make sure to do this!!) --> Import

When you get the option to select content to import you can then go through and select the content you want to duplicate. For me I found it easier to go to Modules and select an entire Module, but it's your call.

Once the content imports the pages will have the same name as the original, but a -1 will be added to the end. For example, original page - Welcome, copy - Welcome-1. Assignments (Assignments, Discussions, Quizzes) will not do this and will have the exact same name as the original. This can often get confusing as to which is the original and which is the copy (unless you've copied the entire Module), so to tell which is which you'll need to do the following.

Go to the assignment index and mouse over something you're going to copy. On the bottom left of the page you should see the URL for the specific item (you can also get this by opening the item and looking at the URL). Write down the unique number for this quiz/discussion/assignment - Ex: https://richland.instructure.com/courses/73XXXX/quizzes/4005035  <-- the 4005035 is the unique number for this quiz. After you make your copy (import the quiz or other assignment back into the same course) look at the number at the end and you'll be able to tell which is the copy and which is the original.

Important: If you want to make additional copies of the same content you need to make the copies from the last copy, not from the original. You can only make a copy of something once, but you CAN make a copy of the copy you just made. So make your copy of the original then change the name of the copy and then make your new copy of the copy by importing the copy back into the same course.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
James
Community Champion

@cnunes ,

There is currently no easy way to do this.

However, at Project Khaki in April, some Canvas users were given the chance to decide how Canvas should spend 20% of their engineering budget and this was chosen as the #2 priority. So it's coming, it's just not here yet.

Some people have created some work-arounds for the time being. Some of those can be found by reading content tagged with khaki_duplicate‌. They may involve using Commons, using a sandbox, templates, and even creating things programmatically using the API. All of these are substantially more difficult than clicking a button that says "Duplicate". For pages, I just use copy/paste within the browser.

I will forward to that! Do you know what time frame a second priority would have? Six months, a year, no idea?

Thank you.

--

Charlene Nunes

ASL Professor

San Joaquin Delta College

5151 Pacific Ave BOX #240

Stockton, CA 95207

James
Community Champion

The invitation letter said they were dedicating 20% of their engineering resources for the next 6 months to our priorities.As a person whose done a little programming, I know that things sometimes come up and development gets put aside because of other things that take priority. While there, they talked about short term, medium term, and long term goals on their roadmap for the next 1.5 years. The day was overwhelming and had a lot to take in and give back, so I'm sorry I don't remember all of the details. They did say that they're not update us on every detail of the process -- I read that as we should expect an announcement when it's done, not how it's coming or anticipated delivery dates.

I can't give you a definite timeline, but I would not wait for it to do your development.

More information about Project Khaki is available here: What in the world does “Khaki” have to do with Canvas? 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cnunes , I just did some testing and I found something that works pretty well. You can do this for an entire Module or specific content items, but I found it easier to copy an entire Module.

The basic premise is that while you're in the course you go to Settings --> Import Content --> Copy a Canvas Course --> Select the SAME course you are current working in (you should get a yellow warning triangle when you do this, this is what you want) --> Select Specific Content (VERY important, make sure to do this!!) --> Import

When you get the option to select content to import you can then go through and select the content you want to duplicate. For me I found it easier to go to Modules and select an entire Module, but it's your call.

Once the content imports the pages will have the same name as the original, but a -1 will be added to the end. For example, original page - Welcome, copy - Welcome-1. Assignments (Assignments, Discussions, Quizzes) will not do this and will have the exact same name as the original. This can often get confusing as to which is the original and which is the copy (unless you've copied the entire Module), so to tell which is which you'll need to do the following.

Go to the assignment index and mouse over something you're going to copy. On the bottom left of the page you should see the URL for the specific item (you can also get this by opening the item and looking at the URL). Write down the unique number for this quiz/discussion/assignment - Ex: https://richland.instructure.com/courses/73XXXX/quizzes/4005035  <-- the 4005035 is the unique number for this quiz. After you make your copy (import the quiz or other assignment back into the same course) look at the number at the end and you'll be able to tell which is the copy and which is the original.

Important: If you want to make additional copies of the same content you need to make the copies from the last copy, not from the original. You can only make a copy of something once, but you CAN make a copy of the copy you just made. So make your copy of the original then change the name of the copy and then make your new copy of the copy by importing the copy back into the same course.

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Yes, that works and will save a lot of time Smiley Happy

Charlnee

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Excellent! Glad I could help!