cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gina_thames
Community Member

Assignments and answer "key"

Jump to solution

I am using an assignment that requires the instructor use a rubric to grade; however, the assignment requires the instructor also see an answer key in order to use the rubric.  How can I add the answers to the rubric for the instructor without the student seeing this on the rubric? 

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@gina_thames ​, you can't hide any rubric items from students. If you've created a Canvas rubric and have attached it to an assignment with the intention of using it for grading, all of the rubric will be visible to students. Have you considered putting the answer key in rubric form (i.e. something that exactly emulates the Canvas grading rubric, with the answer key items added) in a document, uploading it to the Files area, and locking it so that only the instructor can see it? Here's a link to the Canvas lesson on managing file visibility: How do I restrict files and folders in Canvas?

Would this help?

View solution in original post

lalevesque
Community Contributor

Providing an answer key to our teachers is a problem that we encountered very early on and it seems like a feature that should exist but doesn't. Unfortunately, there's no easy solution for delivery of an answer key, and trying to use the rubrics was one of our first ideas.

Without going a very costly or time consuming route, you could either add the answer keys as documents in the course files section (make sure they're private!) or create an unpublished module with the keys uploaded inside of it. Hopefully someday we'll have a more seamless way of getting this content to our teachers.

gina_thames
Community Member

Thanks so much - great idea!  I am going to test it today.

I like the idea of the unpublished module as well.  The instructor could toggle between Speed Grader and module.

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@gina_thames ​, you can't hide any rubric items from students. If you've created a Canvas rubric and have attached it to an assignment with the intention of using it for grading, all of the rubric will be visible to students. Have you considered putting the answer key in rubric form (i.e. something that exactly emulates the Canvas grading rubric, with the answer key items added) in a document, uploading it to the Files area, and locking it so that only the instructor can see it? Here's a link to the Canvas lesson on managing file visibility: How do I restrict files and folders in Canvas?

Would this help?

lalevesque
Community Contributor

Providing an answer key to our teachers is a problem that we encountered very early on and it seems like a feature that should exist but doesn't. Unfortunately, there's no easy solution for delivery of an answer key, and trying to use the rubrics was one of our first ideas.

Without going a very costly or time consuming route, you could either add the answer keys as documents in the course files section (make sure they're private!) or create an unpublished module with the keys uploaded inside of it. Hopefully someday we'll have a more seamless way of getting this content to our teachers.

gina_thames
Community Member

Thanks so much - great idea!  I am going to test it today.

I like the idea of the unpublished module as well.  The instructor could toggle between Speed Grader and module.

m_weintraub
Community Participant

Hi.  I'm new to canvas and the community, so my search keys aren't refined.  Has there been any movement on this that would allow an answer key be used by speedgrader?  I'm going to keep searching, but this thread seems aligned with what I'm trying to do.  We have hundreds of assignments to grade.  What we do is download a submitted file (excel) and then TA's follow the rubric - an answer key dimensioned appropriately.  We really want a checkbox style grading to enforce consistency.  The way rubrics get used in speedgrader is spot on, but I am having trouble figuring out how to share the answer key (with dimensions for partial credit) so speedgrader gets it but it doesn't show up to students like rubrics do.

My process right now is to use a google form and then consolidate the results through a script I wrote.  It's nice in that we can easily upload grades, but it's a pain because the comments go into a pdf.  Uploading pdfs is not a simple process via the API.  It's not undoable, but I'd rather use canvas as a one-stop system.  Otherwise, this hack has to passed to future generations...

Thanks!

Mike