cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradhorn
Community Contributor

Assignments greyed out in calendar - why?

Jump to solution

Totally new to canvas and just playing around for now, but an assignment I've created via the calendar's "Create New Event" (which I then switch to assignment) is giving me a greyed out calendar icon. I have both the "due" and the "available from" dates filled out.

Can anyone tell me why this is? Thanks. 

232458_Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 2.46.07 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bradhorn
Community Contributor

Hey thanks, Kona. I think I've figured out what's up—assignments seem to default to the class calendar, whereas events seem to default to my personal calendar. Because I'd assigned my class "color" to be grey, it appeared in my calendar as grey (my class's "color" was blue, hence it being blue in the calendar).

Seems there's no way to switch which calendar something is in once it's published, correct?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Is this assignment set for a future date or past date?

bradhorn
Community Contributor

Quite far in the future—January, 2018

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

A few other things to check...

• Is the course published?
  • Is the assignment published?

Honestly I think the only time I've seen something grayed out on the calendar is when it's in the past, so I'm grasping at straws here.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Have you tried a different browser (Chrome or Firefox)?

bradhorn
Community Contributor

Thanks for your help, Kona. Yes, the assignment is published. And, yes, I've used other browsers with the same result. And, no, the course is not yet published but when I create "Events" (rather than assignments) those aren't greyed out and are functioning as I would expect them to.

232389_Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 3.28.10 PM.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I played around with my calendar and an unpublished course and it didn't seem to make any difference; I wasn't able to replicate this issue. My recommendation at this point is to contact Canvas Support (Help link --> Report a Problem) and see if they can help figure out what's going on.

bradhorn
Community Contributor

Hey thanks, Kona. I think I've figured out what's up—assignments seem to default to the class calendar, whereas events seem to default to my personal calendar. Because I'd assigned my class "color" to be grey, it appeared in my calendar as grey (my class's "color" was blue, hence it being blue in the calendar).

Seems there's no way to switch which calendar something is in once it's published, correct?

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

For events yes, if you click the edit button after selecting something you can then pick which calendar/course it's associated with. For assignments, no, you can't switch which course it's associated with.

bradhorn
Community Contributor

You rock. Glad to have your help. Thanks.