Attendance

Jump to solution
LoidaNaal
Community Novice

Hi!

I'm new adjunct faculty and have managed to use Canvas for all elements, but I'm having a hard time with the attendance.  For the course, attendance is set at 2 points for each date of attendance and is 10% of the grade.  I don't know how to set the 2 point value and upon reading the q&A/tutorial, I'm concerned that if I make a change now, it won't calculate as it's supposed to.  I figured out how to move attendance to the weighted assignment section.  Can you please advise if it's still possible to set the point value towards 10% of the total class grade?  If, so, how?  

Appreciatively,

Hazel Naal

0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

@LoidaNaal 

If by attendance, if you are referring the the RollCall attendance tool, you are correct to decide against changing the total points that the assignment is worth now that it is started can be tricky, but it can be done.  Because of this, there are two approaches to solving your issue.

1. If you want to have the Roll Call Attendance assignment to be worth a total of 10 points, you can edit the assignment settings to make the Total Points that it is worth be 10.  At first, this will mess-up the Total grades in your grade book, but can be quickly remedied.  After changing the Total Points that the assignment is worth, go the the RollCall tool and Mark All students as present on a day that you hadn't recorded attendance.  Then you can Unmark All students for that same date.  Doing this keeps your attendance accurate in RollCall, but forces RollCall to recalculate the grades to the new Total Points.  

2. If you want the Roll Call Attendance assignment to be worth a total of 10% of the Final Grade, you can place it in its own Assignment Group on the Assignments page.  Then you can weigh the Assignment groups, by selecting the three dot button (…) at the top-right of the Assignments page (next to +Assignment) and select "Assignment Groups Weight".  In the dialog window, check the box to weight the total grade, and enter the various weights for the Assignment Groups so that you have a total of 100% and the group that the attendance is in is weighted at 10%.

How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? 

View solution in original post