Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithi
Community Participant

Audio normalization / sensitivity

Jump to solution

Hi all --

One of the music teachers in my district wants to use the audio/video recording tool for his students to demonstrate their skills (e.g. playing tests, etc). However, he found the audio they get when using this tool is extremely garbled -- he described it "like someone is crushing the instrument in a garbage compactor while playing their playing test." His students have resolved this through trial-and-error placement of their Chromebooks 10-20 feet away from where they're playing, but this is inelegant. I guess I have a couple questions related to this:

1. Are other users experiencing this issue? If so, do you have a solution?
  2. Is there a way to normalize audio or adjust microphone sensitivity within Canvas?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks,

Ike Smith

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

I'm not much of an expert in this area but I think this would have to be handled on the hardware side of things first (using a better quality mic that can plug in to the Chromebooks to provide a better quality source) and then on the software side of things. Here is a link to some decent web based recording and audio editing tools that will work with Chromebooks: 6 Good Chromebook Apps for Recording and Editing Audio ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning

You could make a feature request for this functionality in Canvas but I'm not confident it would get very far since it is so far afield from Canvas' core product.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

I'm not much of an expert in this area but I think this would have to be handled on the hardware side of things first (using a better quality mic that can plug in to the Chromebooks to provide a better quality source) and then on the software side of things. Here is a link to some decent web based recording and audio editing tools that will work with Chromebooks: 6 Good Chromebook Apps for Recording and Editing Audio ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning

You could make a feature request for this functionality in Canvas but I'm not confident it would get very far since it is so far afield from Canvas' core product.

View solution in original post