cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timewyrm007
Community Member

Auomatically Enroll New students in a manually created Course

I am looking for a way to automatically assign newly imported students into a previously created course.

We use PowerSchool as our SIS and do SIF imports into Canvas which works great as it should.

Our school would like to create a course in Canvas called something along the lines of "Welcome to Class" where it would contain some how-tos and basics for using Canvas; and have all newly imported students automatically enrolled into it.

This class would only exist in Canvas and not in our SIS.

Is this possible?

Thanks

2 Replies
nr2522
Community Champion

Hello, timewyrm007‌.

This is very possible, and we do it all the time for our "orientation" type courses. Even though the courses and sections do not come from your SIS, you can still manually assign them SIS IDs, which you can then use in your CSV import files to enroll students. And remember, you can use your test and beta sites to kick the tires before putting anything into production.

It sounds to me like you have a grip on the import process itself, but just reply if I can clarify anything.

Best,

Nelson

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, timewyrm007...

I'm reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you had first posted your question on February 14, 2019.  It looks like  @nr2522  had posted a reply to you that same day in the early afternoon.  Have you had an opportunity to review Nelson's feedback?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  If you feel that Nelson's feedback has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and click the "Mark Correct" button next to his response.  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this topic and post a note below letting Community members know how we might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you since February and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for that same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, David.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.