Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenny_seidemann
Community Member

Authorizing Google Drive

Jump to solution

Updated

Original Subject Line: The last time I set up a google docs collaboration (6/23/15), I could not add students until they had authorized Google Drive. They had to authorize, then message me so I could add them. Is this fixed?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@jenny_seidemann 

For the best experience, students should authorized Google Drive before you attempt to add them to any collaborations.

If you try to add a student who doesn't have a Google Drive integration, they appear to be added to the collaboration and are sent a notification from Canvas that looks like this:

You've been invited to collaborate on a document, James Jones Test Document for MATH 230 - Differential Equations (SP16). The document was created by James Jones in Google Docs and you were invited using your email address, student@email.address

If that's the wrong email address for this type of collaboration, you'll need to change your profile settings or register with Google Docs.

However, there is no link to the collaboration in the email that is sent to them.

When I go into my collaboration and look at the shared settings, it only includes me, it does not include the student that I tried to include who had not integrated Canvas Drive.

So, to the student, it is very confusing. They get a notification saying they are invited but no link to get to it, and it turns out that they don't have access to the Google Doc anyway.

The part I just wrote has been verified while writing this response. The next part is partially conjecture based on my experiences and a quick look at the source code.

Canvas does not appear (I couldn't find it) to check for existing collaborations when a user registers for a service like Google Drive. That means that a student who was added to a collaboration before they integrated Google Drive with Canvas does not automatically become part of that collaboration when they do register. However, if you go into the list of collaborators and update the list, the code to update members of a collaboration executes and adds them to the collaboration. This seems to match what you're saying happened back in June.

So, to summarize, you can attempt to add students to a collaboration if they haven't integrated Google Drive yet. It will appear to Canvas that they have been added and show up on your list of collaborators. However, they're not really added to the Google side of things at this point. If they integrate the Google Drive Service into Canvas, then you can go back and update the list of collaborators.

Note: I'm not sure whether just clicking the "Update Collaboration" button add them or if you actually have to remove them, update it, and then add them back to update it. One part of the code appears to add everyone and another appears to look for only those who have changed.

What I do is take actual class time to make sure that everyone has integrated with Google Drive before we start to do any collaborations. It makes the whole process easier.

I'm not sure if I answered the question, but hopefully this gives you enough to go on.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jenny_seidemann ​...

I am not sure of an answer to your question.  However, I wanted to mention that I am going to modify the subject line of your question and also tag your question with keywords.  Normally, the subject line should be a short description of your question, and then the body of your message should go underneath it...just like composing an e-mail message.  If the revised subject line doesn't quite reflect what you are asking, please let me know, and we can work to make any corrections that might be needed.  All of this will help others more easily search for your topic should they have similar questions.  I hope this is okay with you!

James
Community Champion

@jenny_seidemann 

For the best experience, students should authorized Google Drive before you attempt to add them to any collaborations.

If you try to add a student who doesn't have a Google Drive integration, they appear to be added to the collaboration and are sent a notification from Canvas that looks like this:

You've been invited to collaborate on a document, James Jones Test Document for MATH 230 - Differential Equations (SP16). The document was created by James Jones in Google Docs and you were invited using your email address, student@email.address

If that's the wrong email address for this type of collaboration, you'll need to change your profile settings or register with Google Docs.

However, there is no link to the collaboration in the email that is sent to them.

When I go into my collaboration and look at the shared settings, it only includes me, it does not include the student that I tried to include who had not integrated Canvas Drive.

So, to the student, it is very confusing. They get a notification saying they are invited but no link to get to it, and it turns out that they don't have access to the Google Doc anyway.

The part I just wrote has been verified while writing this response. The next part is partially conjecture based on my experiences and a quick look at the source code.

Canvas does not appear (I couldn't find it) to check for existing collaborations when a user registers for a service like Google Drive. That means that a student who was added to a collaboration before they integrated Google Drive with Canvas does not automatically become part of that collaboration when they do register. However, if you go into the list of collaborators and update the list, the code to update members of a collaboration executes and adds them to the collaboration. This seems to match what you're saying happened back in June.

So, to summarize, you can attempt to add students to a collaboration if they haven't integrated Google Drive yet. It will appear to Canvas that they have been added and show up on your list of collaborators. However, they're not really added to the Google side of things at this point. If they integrate the Google Drive Service into Canvas, then you can go back and update the list of collaborators.

Note: I'm not sure whether just clicking the "Update Collaboration" button add them or if you actually have to remove them, update it, and then add them back to update it. One part of the code appears to add everyone and another appears to look for only those who have changed.

What I do is take actual class time to make sure that everyone has integrated with Google Drive before we start to do any collaborations. It makes the whole process easier.

I'm not sure if I answered the question, but hopefully this gives you enough to go on.

View solution in original post