Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MollyCaldera
Community Member

Auto-Responses for Submitted Assignments

An instructor brought an idea to me today--she wanted to be able to send an auto-reply to students when they submit an assignment as a way to 1. assure them the assignment was successfully submitted, and 2. to include details about the average turnaround time. So for this instructor, the message would go something like this: 

Success! Your assignment, "Environmentalism vs. Environmental Science" was submitted at 9:04pm. 

Typically I am able to grade assignments within 24-36 hours after the initial submission. Thank you for being patient while I provide detailed feedback. Once your grade is entered, you should receive a notification. Check your notification settings to be sure you will be notified in a timely manner. 

Has anyone else had this thought, or suggestion by faculty? It seemed like an interesting idea, so I thought it best to bring it to the community. 

2 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Howdy  @MollyCaldera ,

This is a great idea, though I will address it in two parts (the notification, then the custom bit).

I had a look through the community and have found a couple of relevant feature ideas:

When something is on the Product Radar, that means that Instructure's Product Owners/Managers are aware of the idea and considering it for inclusion at some point in the future. Though, there is also a comment there stating that significant development effort is going towards Quizzes.Next and that is getting priority.

With such a feature idea, I do not anticipate there would be an additional option for the Teacher to set a custom message alongside this.

However, there is another option and this is where I shall share this with the Canvas Developers‌ group. With the Canvas APIs (and some more recent additions including live notification of assignment submissions), it is completely feasible that you could build such a tool.

I would anticipate that it would be an in-house-built LTI tool, which interacted with the APIs to achieve the desired functionality. Not sure if that is up your alley or not, but I always like to provide all the options I am aware of.

Hope that helps and this is something I would love to see too!

Stuart

Hi Stuart, 

Thank you for sharing this information with me. Although I wouldn't be the creator of "an in-house-built LTI tool" I think I can find someone in our IT team at my institution who would be able to help me with this. I would love to see this become a reality, but I understand that Quizzes.Next is time-consuming. I am going to explore the links and ideas you've offered me further. If anything, this was an exercise in showing one of my instructors the benefit of bringing ideas to the Community and the helpful responses you can get in return; something I've been working on here at SXU. Much appreciated, Stuart. 

Sincerely, 

Molly