Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinw
Community Contributor

Auto-Updating Course

Jump to solution

Good morning,

I work for a small non-profit who started out on canvas.instructure.com and grew to a point where we used our own instance of Canvas. Now on canvas.instructure.com we had two log-ins. Call them 'A' and 'B'. And so 'A' was our master version, and when we went into make changes to 'A' it was automatically pushed into 'B'.

So that leads into my question,

Now that we have our own instance of Canvas, say that we have a course 'C' and a copy of course 'C' called course 'cC'. Once we have created course 'cC' we can still update course 'C', but the problem is that these changes, as far as I know, cannot be carried over into course 'cC'.

Is this correct, and if it's not how can I link 'C' to 'cC' so that the course can be automatically updated without having to push it through to Canvas Commons.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kevinw ‌...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered in the Canvas Community for over two months.  SadPanda‌  I'm not sure if you've been able to find an answer on your own since your initial posting in January, but I'm going to give this a shot...keeping in mind there may be other solutions I am not considering.

Now that we have our own instance of Canvas, say that we have a course 'C' and a copy of course 'C' called course 'cC'. Once we have created course 'cC' we can still update course 'C', but the problem is that these changes, as far as I know, cannot be carried over into course 'cC'.

This is correct.  If you have two separate courses (meaning, there are two completely separate course shells with different Course ID numbers), making changes in one course will not change the same content in the other course.  You are correct, though, that Canvas Commons would help you in this regard.  Course "C" could be your "master" course that you share to Canvas Commons.  Then, you import content from Commons into Course "cC" (and any other additional instances/sections of the course for the semester).  Then, if there are any changes that need to be made, you would make those changes in Course "C", and then you could push those changes to Course "cC" (and any others) at the same time.  See How do I update a resource I previously shared to Commons? and How do I view updates to resources I previously imported from Commons? for more information.

Another option to consider (though this might not be idea for lots of content) would be to create your content in something like Google Docs/Drive, and then embed those documents into both "C" and "cC" courses.  Then, any time you need to update content, you'd sign in to Google Docs, make the change, and it would be updated it both courses...because the embed code should remain the same.

Finally, have you considered using Sections?  In a single course, you would have sections for "C" and "cC".  Here is additional information on how Courses and Sections are related: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2963  Would this be an option for you?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Kevin.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kevinw ‌...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered in the Canvas Community for over two months.  SadPanda‌  I'm not sure if you've been able to find an answer on your own since your initial posting in January, but I'm going to give this a shot...keeping in mind there may be other solutions I am not considering.

This is correct.  If you have two separate courses (meaning, there are two completely separate course shells with different Course ID numbers), making changes in one course will not change the same content in the other course.  You are correct, though, that Canvas Commons would help you in this regard.  Course "C" could be your "master" course that you share to Canvas Commons.  Then, you import content from Commons into Course "cC" (and any other additional instances/sections of the course for the semester).  Then, if there are any changes that need to be made, you would make those changes in Course "C", and then you could push those changes to Course "cC" (and any others) at the same time.  See How do I update a resource I previously shared to Commons? and How do I view updates to resources I previously imported from Commons? for more information.

Another option to consider (though this might not be idea for lots of content) would be to create your content in something like Google Docs/Drive, and then embed those documents into both "C" and "cC" courses.  Then, any time you need to update content, you'd sign in to Google Docs, make the change, and it would be updated it both courses...because the embed code should remain the same.

Finally, have you considered using Sections?  In a single course, you would have sections for "C" and "cC".  Here is additional information on how Courses and Sections are related: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2963  Would this be an option for you?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Kevin.

kevinw
Community Contributor

Thanks for the response. 

We had figured out how commons worked and have been able to do all the updates through Commons. When we want to distribute the course we simply import it into a course titled something like "________ highschool Game of Real Life". Then when we update the master course, we update it in commons and it automatically updates the other courses. It's a really nice feature. 

But thanks for the "sections" idea. We will look into this and explore it to find out how to use it for our benefit.