cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmcinerney
Community Participant

Automatic Group creation for students in same section

Jump to solution

Is there a way to automatically generate groups for students in the same section? Right now automatic generation mixes students in different sections and the only way to ensure students are in the same section is to use the self sign up feature.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@mmcinerney ​ and  @ewander , Canvas currently does not have a feature that would assign students to groups according to their sections. I recommend that you add your vote and feedback to this popular feature idea that is in the "Gathering Information" stage:

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ewander
Community Contributor

I don't know of any way to automatically sort students into their specific sections. I believe this is because Canvas can't differentiate those registration sections that are coming from your SIS into Canvas. Any time this is requested of us we have to sort them manually.  @tyler_clair  have you heard of any way to do this?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@mmcinerney ​ and  @ewander , Canvas currently does not have a feature that would assign students to groups according to their sections. I recommend that you add your vote and feedback to this popular feature idea that is in the "Gathering Information" stage:

View solution in original post

tyler_clair
Community Champion

I took a stab at creating a python 3 script that uses the API to create a new group category, create groups based off of the sections, and then create the membership of each student in their respective group. I got it working yesterday and It seems to work just fine. It will do the initial group and membership creation but any additions, shuffling, or removals will have to be done manually.

@mmcinerney ​, if you are adventurous or have someone in your organization that can run scripts in Python 3 I can post a blog entry about it in the Canvas Developers​ group tomorrow.

Just as a follow-up I have posted a blog about the script I wrote along with a link to the code in my github account.

Sections to Groups Script