cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mparzen
Community Member

Automatic Regrading numerical ranged questions

Jump to solution

I made a mistake on a canvas quiz for a numerical ranged answer. Apparently Canvas does not allow automatic regreading if one has a numerical ranged question. My support member calls this a "feature"? How is it that canvas can initially automatically grade my quiz, but if I want to change the answer it can't automatically regrade. It can if it is a multiple choice question. What's the difference?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abunag
Community Champion

Unfortunately regrading is something we've had a lot of problems with, and often have to go and regrade by hand.  I know Instructure isn't doing much upgrading of Quizzes right now, because they're hoping to scrap it in favor of the new Quiz Engine sometime next year, which I would expect would handle regrading better, along with a lot of other improvements.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

Unfortunately regrading is something we've had a lot of problems with, and often have to go and regrade by hand.  I know Instructure isn't doing much upgrading of Quizzes right now, because they're hoping to scrap it in favor of the new Quiz Engine sometime next year, which I would expect would handle regrading better, along with a lot of other improvements.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

For more information on this see the following - Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

mparzen
Community Member

Interesting and in context very sad statement since the whole concept and incentive of using canvas for a quiz [numerical based] is the automatic grading. I very much appreciate knowing you've had the same issue with having to hand-regrade.

One the one hand I blame myself for not reading the manual apriori, but why can Canvas regrade a multiple choice question from "the answer is A" to "the answer is C" with no issues? Shouldn't it be the same code structure for a numerical valued answer? Its not clear why regrading is limited to only certain types of questions.

I do want to give credit to Canvas support for understanding my issue immediately. I was dreading having to describe this in a chat session but my support person immediately understood the issue and told me its a feature not a bug, kindly pointing me to the manual which indicates what can be regraded. I still don't see how its a feature, I would call it a limitation.