Automatic peer-review assignment doesn't occur when due date is changed?

Jump to solution
stn2
Community Member

I have now had three instances, over a couple years, when I extended the due date on an assignment to give students more time to turn in the homework and then automatic peer-review assignment does not occur.  This last time (link included here for Instructure folks in case they are interested:  PS4 (northwestern.edu)),  happened last night (11/5/21).  In this instance, I extended the due date for the homework by 1 day but did not extend the due date for the peer-review, which was always set for 2 days after the original due date of the homework (i.e., for this homework, students now only have 1 day to turn in the peer-review).  I assume that this is a bug as it occurs sporadically for me and want to report it here for record.  While the bug is rare, it can be an annoying inconvenience when there is a short timeline that occurs over the weekend.  In the current occurrence, I caught it in time and was able to go in to "manually" fix it.   (I put "manually" in the quotation because the "Assign Peer Reviews" button still work; I just need to go in to the assignment and click it, which should not have been needed if the software works correctly.)

I note that I have been using Canvas and peer review regularly since 2014 now and considered myself to be reasonably proficient at setting up this task. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffW
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @stn2 

I apologize that your post went so long with no response! This definitely seems out of the ordinary. The only thing you are changing is the due date of the assignment? Just to confirm the due date isn't being changed to a date later than when the peer reviews are set to be assigned correct?

If this is something that is happening intermittently then I would suggest opening a ticket with Canvas Support so they can take a close look at it. They will want to properly document it and start an investigation.

View solution in original post

0 Likes