Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpmitchell

Automatic scoring for discussions?

Jump to solution

My college is switching from Angel to Canvas this summer, and there's one handy Angel feature I'm trying to find an equivalent to, which is the option to score discussions automatically based on the number of original posts and replies.

This is useful for me because I assign short, pass/fail reading responses at the beginning of every class as a warm up. On an assignment like this, there's no need to pick each response apart--the point is to get some writing practice without the pressure of being graded, so auto scoring works fine.

Does Canvas offer a feature like this?

1 Solution
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Jason,

We use graded discussions for our online courses and they have to be manually graded.  There is no standard Canvas functionality, to my knowledge, to automatically grade a discussion forum.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Jason,

We use graded discussions for our online courses and they have to be manually graded.  There is no standard Canvas functionality, to my knowledge, to automatically grade a discussion forum.

Thanks so much.  It's a great feature that I will miss.

kedgecomb
Community Champion

We switched from ANGEL to Canvas, and I have had several instructors request this same feature.  It was sure a time-saver!  Consider submitting a feature request!

To submit a feature request, go to the following website below.

https://community.canvaslms.com/create-idea!input.jspa?containerType=14&containerID=2035

Thanks!

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I would certainly vote up for such a feature if there was a way for it to automatically do the grading when a minimum # of posts were met.

zal5010

Has this idea been submitted to feature requests? I'm working with a handful of faculty that have specifically requested this. I would like to pass this idea on to them to vote. Thanks.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@zal5010 , I went through the current feature ideas in the Canvas Studio‌ and for Discussions - https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/sorting-hat-instructor#d - and didn't find anything for this. My recommendation is to go ahead and create a new idea for this and then add the link back to this discussion!