cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mccoskey
Community Participant

Automatic sis uploads?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to set up canvas to automatically upload to sis any new grades every night?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @mccoskey   I would contact your IT Department about this.  I would suspect that this is something they would need to look into.  We investigated grade pass back to the SIS a year ago and discovered there are some tools available to make this happen, but it depends a great deal on what SIS is being used and the IT infrastructure of the institution.  We learned quickly speaking to our IT group that our SIS will not permit grade data to be received directly from Canvas, so like we have historically, grades are kept in Canvas but instructors must log in to the SIS "portal" to enter these grades formally.  

Since at one time a button appeared for you in Canvas to make this easier, your IT group would probably know if there is a reason this is no longer appearing and why.  If you do learn what happened, please let us know!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mccoskey   I know that there are ways to have the student information system updated from Canvas automatically, but whether this is possible and how it is accomplished varies from one SIS to another.  The SIS at my institution, for example, doesn't do well accepting feeds and so when we looked into this, found out quickly it wasn't an option.  

I am not sure what your role is, but you might check with IT at your institution and see about a conversation with a CSM at Canvas about the options that may exist.  I will also share this with the Canvas Developers‌ and Canvas Admins‌ user groups in case someone has additional insight that could be useful.

All the best!

tlampley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Greetings  @mccoskey  Smiley Happy

It's a pleasure to make your virtual acquaintance! 

Would you be so kind as to provide some additional information about your inquiry.  For instance, if you could list the problem or issue you have identified (that configuring Canvas to provide daily grade updates via SIS upload would solve) that may be helpful in thinking and working out a viable solution.

Finally, I wanted to connect you with a Free, that's right Melisha: a FREE RESOURCE that should prove to be entirely helpful as you journey down the Canvas highway.  The team at Instructure has created a wonderful course titled: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins/blog/2018/10/03/be-the-hero-new-training-course-for-ad...  It will take you gently-by-the-hand, and build block-by-block your understanding and Canvas skills.

Again, great to make your acquaintance, and I look forward to sharing our mutual knowledge; for development of Canvas, and the good of all it's users.

Have a SUPER Day!

mccoskey
Community Participant

So as a teacher, I have to go into each class and update canvas grades to

sis. This takes a lot of time and I only upload once a week. This is

problematic because grades are a week behind until Friday....I proctor

foreign language classes, so I have up to 4 separate classes each hour...so

even though kids are all in the same class, I proctor Rosetta Stone, so

they might be in Spanish I, II or French I or II...In sis each class has to

be separate, so I potentially could have 4 classes per hour that means

uploading from Canvas to sis for potentially 28 classes. If we add another

language option, that could increase. So...if canvas could be set up to

just auto update any new grades, or all grades over night each night, it

would be so very helpful and time saving.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 1:34 PM tlampley@msjc.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mccoskey . It has been a while since there has been activity in this thread so I thought I would check back in and see if you were able to find a solution to the SIS grade upload question you posted.  If so please let us know!  

All the best---

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mccoskey .  Since there has been no update to this question in a while, I am going to go ahead and mark this as "assumed answered".  This doesn't change the ability to post to the thread in the future and the status can be altered later if appropriate.

All the best!

mccoskey
Community Participant

I still want to learn how to possibly  set up canvas to automatically upload to sis any new grades every night?  This issue was not resolved for me and I think it would be life changing for all teachers.  Please consider looking into the possibility of doing this.  In order to upload grades I have to go into SIS and hit the canvas button and choose what to  upload and then hit submit and it will upload, but it is a laborious task for me and I am sure all teachers.  Canvas used to have a button you could just push and it would send the grades to SIS, but that button disappeared.  I would love to see that return and be able to use that since I have all my language classes in one spot in canvas, clicking send grades to SIS would allow them all to go at once and really relieve a lot of extra work.  Is that possible?

Hi  @mccoskey   I would contact your IT Department about this.  I would suspect that this is something they would need to look into.  We investigated grade pass back to the SIS a year ago and discovered there are some tools available to make this happen, but it depends a great deal on what SIS is being used and the IT infrastructure of the institution.  We learned quickly speaking to our IT group that our SIS will not permit grade data to be received directly from Canvas, so like we have historically, grades are kept in Canvas but instructors must log in to the SIS "portal" to enter these grades formally.  

Since at one time a button appeared for you in Canvas to make this easier, your IT group would probably know if there is a reason this is no longer appearing and why.  If you do learn what happened, please let us know!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
mccoskey
Community Participant

So...they removed the button because it did not work correctly. So...I

assume that means it wont work with our sis...but I would really like to do

some work to make sure this is accurate because if it is just something we

need to fix on our end, it would be nice to have that up and running. How

do I find out if the SIS we use will accept that upload or not?

Hi  @mccoskey   Your IT department should know this or be able to work with the Canvas customer success manager (or Canvas Support) for your institution to determine the best way forward.  Your IT group should know all the intricacies of the SIS you are using as well as how these interface with Canvas.

All the best!