cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daniel_powers
Community Member

Automating Canvas to Banner final grade transfer(s)

Jump to solution

We use Canvas courses API calls to automate the extract of final (and gradebook) grades for upload to Banner. We are looking for a way to flexibly control the date to commence the repeated transfer of final grade changes at the course level. We currently suppress course final grade calculation until the grade release by manipulating individual assignment (do not include in final grade checkbox) and graded quiz (placing in assignment group with zero weight) settings. The ideal solution would require minimal administrative action other than at course setup and on the day final grade transfers are to begin.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daniel_powers
Community Member

We resolved our issue by using the 'Hide totals in student grades summary' checkbox in the Course Settings (under more options). Checking this option at the start of the course hides the incomplete, calculated final grades in the UI and also prevents final grades from being returned by the API. Once the grades are finalized, unchecking the hide final grades option displays them to students in Canvas and passes them in the API for our extract program to populate Banner.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@powersd ,

At NMSU, we went at this a little differently.  Our faculty were uncomfortable with Banner simply pulling grades directly over from Canvas on a given date.  What we developed was the addition of a button that would appear on the Mid-term Grades and Finals Grades forms if the grading scheme was enabled in the course.  Using the Grades APIs, the button, when clicked, would pull over the Current Grade (for Mid-terms) or Final Grade (for Final Grades) columns and populate each student's grade.  The instructor's can then change the grade in Banner and then submit their grades.  It's not automated, but it provided the flexibility that our faculty were asking for.

Robbie 

Isn't this integration with Banner pretty expensive, Robbie? I ask because our faculty were told that such a button and the ability to export grades from Canvas to Banner was cost prohibitive.

I'm pinging  @keeganlong-whee ‌ who would know the admin side of our Banner integration.

Speaking as a faculty member who is simply unable to record final grades in Canvas (not until they give us a text field where I can simply put in the letter grade; my grading system will not working with Canvas's schemes — because my system is based on a total-points, not a points-out-of approach), I very much appreciate the flexibility of being able to enter grades into our Banner SIS manually, which is what I do.

I hope the new Gradebook will allow me to do what I always did in D2L, which is to create a text field for the Final Grade and enter that manually. 

@dhulsey ,

We had a developer do this in-house.  He used the Canvas Grades APIs and custom javascript in Banner Self Serve to make the button appear.

Robbie

Well, you know, my house is your house. I mean, we are in the same state and everything. Smiley Happy

Anyway, that is good to know. Thanks, Robbie.

daniel_powers
Community Member

We resolved our issue by using the 'Hide totals in student grades summary' checkbox in the Course Settings (under more options). Checking this option at the start of the course hides the incomplete, calculated final grades in the UI and also prevents final grades from being returned by the API. Once the grades are finalized, unchecking the hide final grades option displays them to students in Canvas and passes them in the API for our extract program to populate Banner.

View solution in original post

which API do you use to extract the final grade?