cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_williamson
Community Contributor

Available Until Date

Has anyone ever experienced assignments still open after the available until has passed?

22 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @john_williamson ‌ - I suppose it depends how you define "open."  An online/file upload assignment should definitely not be able to be submitted after the UNTIL date.  So in that case, no--I personally have not seen that.  On the other hand, even after the "Until" date, students are still able to:

• See the assignment on the ASSIGNMENTS page
  • Click on it and view the instructions AND 
  • View/download any file attachments

They just can't submit anything.

But if you have a file upload assignment where they are submitting material after the UNTIL date, that may indeed be worthy of a support case to Canvas.  (Help>>Report a Problem).  But you may want to provide the Community with some specifics regarding the assignment's settings, if at all possible.

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Ken,

Below is a screen shot of my settings:

234104_pastedImage_3.png

I have several quizzes that have past the available until date and if I go into moderate quiz I have several students who still  showing that they have open quizzes. (See below)

234093_pastedImage_1.png

Some of the time the system gives a option to force the open assignments to be closed and graded other times that option is not available.  (This option was only available  for some but not all of my assignments)

234094_pastedImage_2.png

Any help would be great!

John

Thanks for the screen captures, John!  I admit I'm a bit stumped on this now, and I will "tag" resident quizzing expert  @kona ‌, author of the must-read publication Quiz Settings to Maximize Security (which glancing through may also help you in this case), in case she has any additional advice.  Given the time that student has been "taking" the quiz (based on your second screen capture), it is likely the student never clicked the final Submit Quiz button at the bottom of the quiz.  You may want to check the student's quiz log to see how far they got.  My other thought is that the option to force the assignment to be closed would apply to those students who made but one attempt (since you allowed two on the quiz), whereas anyone who took it twice should automatically be closed out and, therefore, Canvas is allowing you to view their submissions.  In either case, certainly no one should be able to START the quiz--given it's past the "until" date.

@john_williamson : am guessing that the "no time limit" setting is causing the issue. Since there is not a time limit, a student who does not submit still has an open quiz even though the due date has passed. Try moderating the open quizzes and seeing if you can force the submission from there:

234116_pastedImage_1.png

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Dallas,

There lies my issue.  Some of the assignment allow me to force the submission and some do not and as far as I can tell there isn't a difference on how I have them setup.  I may try to place a time limit on the assignment to see if this will force the submissions.  

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Dallas,

I went into my assignments and entered a time limit. This allowed me to then force submission on open assignments.  I  am not sure why I  have to use this round about approach when in the past this old why worked just fine and I had no issues.  Anyway thanks for the idea.

John 

kblack
Community Champion

@dhulsey ‌ - I wondered about that, but in a sample that I was running just now that replicated the original settings in John's example, I had two students who logged off and/or closed the browser midstream (they did not click the SUBMIT QUIZ button, basically) that nevertheless still showed that they "finished" the quiz, taking a time to complete that matched when my"Until" time was set.  In other words, it appears Canvas auto-submitted for them, which indeed seems to confirm what the documentation page states.

234105_moderate quiz.jpg

But in my case--despite that I had two students who exited Canvas while taking the quiz--I got no "outstanding quiz submissions" message at all.  In theory, that message should only appear on timed quizzes.

I didn't ask the question originally, but now I'm just confusing myself more!  I hate when that happens.

Just saw this now, John.  That may explain why you got the message about "outstanding quiz submissions" and I didn't.  If you changed the time limit, that may have just enabled the very warning that you should have, according to that documentation page.

dhulsey
Community Champion

What you say makes sense,  @kblack ‌. Although, I wonder what happens if the student does not close the browser? Anyway, the unlimited time is the only thing that caught my eye with those settings.