cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_williamson
Community Contributor

Available Until Date

Has anyone ever experienced assignments still open after the available until has passed?

22 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Sorry I'm late to the party, but it sounds like you've already figured out part of the issue - the lack of a time limit. Unfortunately I'm not going to be much help because I just had something similar happen to me last week. A student hadn't submitted a quiz, but the until date was up and yet the quiz was hanging there in limbo and didn't auto-submit and didn't give me the option to submit it for the student (on the Moderate page). I ended up extending out the until date, then masqueraded as the student (which I can do because I'm a Canvas Admin), and submitted the quiz.

As for the settings on my quiz, students had 5 attempts and unlimited time, but there was a due & until date. This specific student was on her first attempt when the until date kicked her out. So... is it the no time limit with multiple attempts allowed that's causing the problem??? This might be one to escalate to Canvas support.

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Ken,

I have been formatting my assignments in this same manner for the last 2 plus years and this quarter was the first time I encountered this issue.    I am just glad were able to find a solution.  

It may indeed be worthwhile to file a case, then, as Kona suggested, though I imagine you're more worried about submitting final grades at this time of year! Definitely something to keep an eye on, though.

john_williamson
Community Contributor

Kona,

I have been formatting my assignments in much of the same manner as you describe for 2 plus years.  This is the first quarter that I have encountered this error.   If you change the time limit to even 1 minutes under edit  and save changes and then moderate the assignments you can manually close  the open assignments by selecting the blue clock by the students name and  End the quiz 1 minute from now.  After this time expires you will then get  check on outstanding quiz submissions option.  

234126_pastedImage_2.png

I agree that this might be one to escalate to Canvas support.

John

I have to admit I've been using the same settings on my quizzing for at least 2 years and never had this happen. Thanks for the work around, but it seems like this shouldn't be happening.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @john_williamson ‌...

I thought that I would check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this particular thread for almost two months.  It looks like you've received lots of help here.  Did any of the above responses help to answer your question in a way that you could mark one of them as "Correct"?  Or, are there still any outstanding questions as it relates to your initial posting?  If you could come back to this thread to post a quick update and possibly mark a response as "Correct", that would be great.  For now, since there hasn't been any new activity since May 16th, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you, John.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

rraymond1
Community Member

Ok...so this is my first time using Canvas. I'm kind of a techy guy, but I have 7 students who's quizzes are still outstanding. They closed their browser without submitting the quiz. This has caused the test to be out there and remain ungraded. I cannot manually override them or submit them.

What do I do? Help please.

I have made the due date and then undone the due date. I have made it a times test. Nothing seems to be working. I have attached some screen shots. I'm sure that it is something in my settings. Again, this is my first time using canvas and we didn't have much training at all before rolling this out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Edited to remove two screenshots that displayed students' names)

@rraymond1 ‌, we removed two of your screenshots because they displayed students' full names. To protect students' privacy, would you resubmit those screenshots with last names redacted? Thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rraymond1 , the only thing I saw from your settings that stuck out was that you didn't have an "until" date set. This is normally what triggers Canvas to auto-submit things. The due date is a soft date in that it shows up in Canvas, on the Calendar, in the to-do list, and Modules... but... it doesn't prevent students from taking the quiz or submitting it after this date. The hard date for that is the Until date. My recommendation is to try setting an until date and see if that triggers anything.

rraymond1
Community Member

I just made the “until” date for Monday, which is when it was supposed to turned in. I did set a “due date” as well. I also did a "timed test” for 94 minutes, that is 2 class periods. thank you for the help. i am trying to find this out because i’m sure that others will run into the same issues and they usually come running to me to help them. thank you so much.

ryan