cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cborja
Community Participant

Averaging two grades in an Assignment Group

Jump to solution

My students took a quiz and some of them took a retake. So I have two assignment entries in the Quizzes Assignment Group. What I would like to be able to do is to have a way to calculate the grade for the quiz by weighting the score of their original test at 60% and the re-take at 40%. Is this possible to do on Canvas?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
valentinesking
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Great question Christian.

With multiple attempts for quizzes- the options are highest, latest and average. No further option for specifying a weighted average. However, that sounds like a great suggestion for Ideas?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
valentinesking
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Great question Christian.

With multiple attempts for quizzes- the options are highest, latest and average. No further option for specifying a weighted average. However, that sounds like a great suggestion for Ideas?

View solution in original post

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Christian,

When you say that some students took a retake and now you have two graded items in the assignment group, did you mean that you gave some students an additional chance to take the first quiz or did you mean that you created a second actual quiz and had some students take the second quiz as well?

cborja
Community Participant

Hi Scott,

I probably should have made and example a paper. Some students get a chance to resubmit a re-write but we would like to average the the grades with a higher weight for the first entry and a lower weight to the re-write. In Blackboard I was able to create a calculated column in the grade book and tell that column to grab the grade in the paper column and give it a 60% weight and then grab the grade in the Re-Write column and give it a 40% weight and then I could tell it to use the calculated column as the grade to use to calculate the final grade. 

I have been using Canvas now for a while and this has come up a couple of times in my teaching and as a question from other teachers and I figure I would ask to see if anyone had solution or work around.

Hope this helps,

jfrielich_ls
Community Participant

Hi  @cborja ‌,

Canvas calculates the final grade for each category by adding total points (total points earned divided by total points possible), not actually averaging.

So if you make the first attempt out of 60 points and the resubmit out of 40 points you will be effectively weighting them 60% 40%. If it is important that students see a grade out of 100, you can set display grade as a percentage. 

Hey Christian,

I'm still not clear on whether you created two assignment content items and had some people re-submit to the second assignment or whether you had some people make more than one submission to the same assignment (I tried to look into your courses but I wasn't sure which one you are referring to).  If you have people submit more than once to a given assignment you can only have one submission count towards their grade although you could manually score them on a weighting of both submissions.   If you are using two separate assignments, you could put each in its own category and then weight the categories accordingly.  

I'm also hoping other people have more imaginative solutions...  Smiley Happy 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cborja ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie