cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahenschel
Community Participant

Avoid regrading quizzes

I updated many of my quizzes to be in the correct assignment group (assignments versus imported assignments) and now I have a message that "the quiz has changed significantly since this submission was made. This submission may need re-grading." So, it seems I have to go through and manually type in the grade in "speed grader".  is there anything I can do to avoid having to retype in all of these grades in the "not-so-speedy" grader? All of these "Q's" now appear in my grading spreadsheet:

regrading issue.png

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Angela

13 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ahenschel ​...

In checking with awilliams​ here in the Community, were there any other changes that you made to your quizzes while also moving them around to the correct Assignment Groups in your course?  Did you add/edit/remove any questions?  Change any of your quiz settings?

ahenschel
Community Participant

Hi Chris,

For many of the quizzes nothing else was changed.  For a few of them I updated the due date time, but that was only in about 10% of the assignments I see the issue, so with those ones I understand what happened.

Thank you,

Angela

kroeninm
Community Champion

Hi Angela,

I had an issue with Qs reappearing with an instructor recently and did some limited testing.  Would be selfishly curious of a few things...I keep meaning to get back to test the instructor's workflow to see if I can find out which setting he changed that caused this.

• Are students submitting the quiz and taking it within Canvas (I'm assuming yes, but just checking)?
  • Do you have manually graded questions on this quiz (i.e. Essay or File Upload), if so which question types?
  • If you have questions that are manually graded, are you manually grading the questions within Speedgrader by typing in the points within the specific Question box or are you doing something different?
  • Do you use a time limit?

From just playing a few minutes again with it now, when I changed the due date, nothing seemed to happen, when I move a quiz to a new question group or a different question group nothing happens, when I change question or answer text, again I don't need to regrade.  When I change a point value on a question I do get the Q's and need to regrade.  Not sure that helps as it sounds like you were doing limited editing but I'll let you know if I find anything out as I do additional testing.

- Melanie

ahenschel
Community Participant

Hi Melanie,

I have convinced myself I will just have to go through each submission on speed-reader to get this right, but I am hoping to avoid problems like this in the future.  Here are my answers to your questions:

1.) Are students submitting the quiz and taking it within Canvas (I'm assuming yes, but just checking)?

Yes

2.) Do you have manually graded questions on this quiz (i.e. Essay or File Upload), if so which question types?

No, they were all either multiple choice or fill in the blank.

3.) If you have questions that are manually graded, are you manually grading the questions within Speedgrader by typing in the points within the specific Question box or are you doing something different?

I have to manually grade the assignment by reducing the points if they do not turn in the math work that supports their answers.  To change the points I usually change it in the grade book because it seemed faster that way.  This results in negative fudge points being added to the grade.

4.) Do you use a time limit?

No.

Thank you for trying to help!

Angela

kroeninm
Community Champion

Super I'll tag a reply on here if I find an issue, the instructor I'm working with does manually enter grades and fudge points occur so there is a similarity there.

Just as an FYI too I played with QuizWiz browser interactive on Friday and found it really fun and useful for efficiency.  Don't know why I never tried it as I can see it being really useful.

- Melanie

kroeninm
Community Champion

Well yay? I just caused this to happen on two quizzes in the same course so I'll reproduce it a few times and log a ticket and post it back here hopefully later today.  There is definitely something I can reproduce now since it was me that broke it Smiley Happy 

- Melanie

kroeninm
Community Champion

So I'm not able to reproduce the problem in a fresh course though I tried....  But to share notes, I went through and edited the Settings of about 10 quizzes, specifically checkmarking the box "Show Correct Answers".  On 2 of the 10 quizzes, a regrade was triggered.  I could reproduce this on a copy of the course as well.  The quizzes I was working on were ones in which we altered points and correct answers before the students took the quizzes so there was some more than usual editing on them that probably caused this somehow.  I'll let you know if I find the exact set of steps.

For now though, if you use the QuizWiz tool, you can complete the regrading with 50% less clicks by using the Update and Move to Next Student arrow. Smiley Happy

- Melanie

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ahenschel ​...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since December 6th.  Did any of the above responses from  @kroeninm ​ help to answer your question?  If so, please come back here to post an update.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because it's been over a month without any new activity in this thread.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies to this topic.  If there is a response from Angela that you think is more "correct", please go ahead and mark one of those as such.  Thanks Angela!

ahenschel
Community Participant

Hi @Chris Hofer and @Melanie Kroening,

I have not figured out how to fix the situation once regrading is triggered.  Moving forward, when importing assignments from another course or creating a new assignment note that changes to any of the following properties seem to trigger a regrading if scores had already been submitted:

1.)  The assignment category.  This would be important if you are dropping the lowest grade in a certain category

2.) The dates associated with the assignment (dates available, due date/time).

3.) The quiz settings.

Thank you for your feedback.