cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myerdon01
Community Champion

Bad course shell?

Jump to solution

Has anyone had a course shell that was "bad"? Not sure how to describe it, but I have an instructor with an online class and his students (and the instructor in student view) cannot see some images in quizzes. Quizzes were deleted and recreated, files were deleted and re-uploaded, images were re-linked or re-embedded and nothing is working. The content was put into a new, blank course shell and everything is visible and working properly, leading us to believe this is an issue with this course shell. Sometimes when the instructor clicks on the files link and opens the folders, you can see and choose items in the folders, but when you close the folder and try to open it again, it shows nothing in it. However, if you click back on the files link and start over, opening folders, you can see the items again.

Students are already populated into this course and working, but cannot progress any further. We have done what we can do from our end and really don't want to recreate the course in a new shell because of SIS issues, grades, etc. I was curious if anyone has run across this type of behavior and what you did to correct it, we are at a loss.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
myerdon01
Community Champion

It seems to be working, but we won't know for sure until students get going full force again. I had to export grades, reset course content, re-import course content from a master course shell, and re-import grades. No issues as of this moment in time-thank you stefaniesanders​ for your help!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@myerdon01 , some of the coaches and I just got together and tossed around some of our previous experiences with strange issues that cropped up in a specific Canvas course shell, and the common denominator among them was a course import from a previous LMS (in our own cases, specifically Angel, WebCT, and CE8). Sometimes the import was from a course that is still active on a server elsewhere, creating spurious or ephemerally live links. Was this course originally migrated from another LMS, and/or does it contain publisher materials? Can you provide us with any other information as to how this course might be different from other courses you've migrated or built?

myerdon01
Community Champion

First of all, thank you thank you thank you stefaniesanders  for responding! It is not my course, but it was imported from either a Master Course shell or from a previous semester class, not from a different LMS, and it does not have publisher materials. I can't say that it is really any different from other courses here. It is a pretty straightforward online class. The students view a PPT lesson, read chapters in their books, then take a quiz in Canvas. The images in the quizzes are the issue right now and there is nothing consistent! A student and myself (in student view and as a test student) were unable to see images in a quiz yesterday, but I just went in as the instructor in student view and they are there! As a test student enrolled in the course, they are NOT there. I have tried so many different scenarios and it seems it works out differently each time. Bottom line, it is a blue print reading class and they cannot see the blueprint images to read them! I am suggesting to the instructor that he tell students to stop work at this point, export grades, reset the course, import the grades and the course content again to see what happens. Any suggestions other than that would be VERY helpful and much appreciated!

@myerdon01 , not being able to see images in Canvas quizzes is not an uncommon issue that might crop up after a course is copied. Often it occurs because the images themselves weren't brought into the course along with the rest of the course content. The implication of this is that someone with higher permissions (an admin, or a teacher attached to the master and the copy, for example) doesn't perceive any problem with the quizzes, but a student who only has access to that course--and not to the files in the course from which the quizzes originally came--cannot see those images.

This wouldn't necessarily be a big problem before classes start, but the remedy becomes complicated when you're trying to implement it in a live course with students already participating. So my first suggestion--if the instructor hasn't already reset the course--would be to find all of the images that were in the master course and copy (or re-copy, as the case may be) them into the live course. Then, someone should go through the quizzes and re-insert the images, using the Insert Content into the Course panel to browse through the just-imported image files. This will re-establish the link between the quizzes and the images, and as long as all of the associated content is selected the next time the course needs to be copied, the problem shouldn't recur.

Depending on how many quiz questions are affected, it might be faster to pursue your remedy. If the instructor has already reset the course, it is imperative that all of the associated content gets copied over into the new course. If the instructor wants to use the option to select specific content, he must first make sure that all of the blueprint image files exist in the master, and then make sure to select and copy all the files as part of the course copy/import process.

Also, perhaps the information provided in this recent question (about making sure all of the image files have been published and are not restricted) might help: Embedded images not showing up

Please let us know how this goes!

myerdon01
Community Champion

I had already done the re-upload, re-linking, re-embedding, etc. and just tried again and no success. I downloaded the files out of the master course shell and uploaded them fresh into the course that is not working and still no go. Time to hit the reset button, but not even sure if that will work, but I will try anything at this point!

Our esteemed Community Manager  @Renee_Carney ​ has another suggestion:

Try uploading the master course to Commons and then bringing it into the new shell from Commons.

Please keep us informed of your progress!

myerdon01
Community Champion

It seems to be working, but we won't know for sure until students get going full force again. I had to export grades, reset course content, re-import course content from a master course shell, and re-import grades. No issues as of this moment in time-thank you stefaniesanders​ for your help!

View solution in original post

You're welcome,  @myerdon01 ​! I'm glad to know that the course is on the mend, so to speak. I'll keep this in the corner of my mind for future reference so if someone else has what seems to be a spooked course shell we can recommend your remedy, draconian as it might seem.

gouldt
Community Contributor

We had this problem when migrating content from ANGEL to Canvas. We found a work around that generally worked. If you export the quiz individually, and import it in as QTI or ANGEL file. So if you are using Canvas it would be a Canvas file or QTI. For some reason the problem seemed to be related to importing the whole course, even if we selected specific objects.