cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgibson1
Community Champion

Badgr

This sounds really promising. We're really exploring badging. Has anyone started investigating this integration?

Instructure Partners with Concentric Sky's Badgr to Offer Digital Badge Compatibility within Canvas

39 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

rgibson1​, it looks interesting, but I haven't checked it out that much. Hopefully someone else will have some information on this!

I'm also going to switch this over to a discussion (instead of a question) so that way we can continue the conversation with no need for a "correct" answer.

rjacobson
Instructure
Instructure

Hey rgibson1

I share your excitement, as Badgr sounds quite promising. From what I've heard, It’s a good integration while still being a work in progress. It uses a combination of LTI and API, similar to Canvabadges. I believe schools can sign up for an account at badgr.io and test it out!

Ryan

rgibson1
Community Champion

Schweeet!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

We have a professional development area that is using Canvabadges and as been asking about Badgr.  Hope I can help them out now!

Robbie

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hey, rgibson1​ and everyone else here, I'm assuming you've all seen this? Webinar: Open Badges in Canvas with Badgr

I get the unauthorized message?  I must not be part of the group that is under?

Hi, ysmalls‌! Actually, the space in which that event resides is currently "under construction," but it should be available again soon.

In the meantime, that's actually the link to the event. I was able to find the recording of the event, which will undoubtedly be more useful (since the event took place nearly two years ago Smiley Wink). You'll be able to view the recording, and lots of others, on this page (scroll down to find the one for Badgr): Webinars | Canvas Learning Management System 

We have another free upcoming webinar that will cover all things Badgr including:

• how to add the LTI
  • how to set up a Canvas course for automatic badging
  • how to create an issuer and badges
  • best practices for using Badgr
  • what the Badgr Pro for Canvas features are
  • how the Badgr Pathways app and LTI can support programs and initiatives that span coursework, issuers, institutions and badging platforms. 

Please join us!

When: August 15, 2018 @ 10 am PDT

Register here: Webinar Registration - Zoom 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

It will be interesting to compare Badgr to Canvabadges! I'm looking forward to the webinar. Smiley Happy

khammond
Partner
Partner

Hi everyone- I'm late to this conversation but would be happy to talk about integrating Badgr with Canvas if you haven't found a badging solution yet. Open Badges are gaining in popularity and use and can serve to motivate your students and learning. Integration takes less than 5 minutes and only the admin needs to create an account. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Do you know if Badgr can be set up at the course level, or is it an account level item?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan!

Badgr can be set up at the course level, sub-account or account level. Badgr Pro analytics roll-up to the account level, so if you are interested in analytics, I would recommend installing Badgr account-wide. We may have some room in our Badgr Pro pilot program which gives you access to Badgr Pro at no cost or obligation for 6 months. Let me know if you are interested in getting set up. I am happy to assist. :smileylaugh:

Cheers,

Kim

Thanks Kim!

Hi Kim,

We are looking into Badgr for UNH. Is there still room in the Pro pilot program?

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for asking! We've authorized your Canvas server URL back in July so you are all set to use Badgr in your coursework. Feel free to contact us at help@badgr.io if you need any assistance getting started.

Cheers!

Kim

ysmalls
Community Champion

I'm excited too!!  If you email them they will answer and are very helpful.  I have it integrated and testing it out in one course so far.

geralyn_stephen

We've created a module in Canvas Commons:  Using Badges (with Badgr) in your Canvas Courseto help faculty create and implement Badges [uses Canva and Badgr] in their course.  There is also an Assignment, which has been shared via Canvas Commonthat ties to our Students: Intro to Canvas course (not shared to Canvas Commons).  

Let us know if you need any help or have questions!

HI Kim:  It appears that if changes are made to the criteria in the module, there is no way for Badges to be updated to student records.  For example, a student completed the assignment, but it was not auto-corrected.  I changed the criteria and the assignment was auto-corrected and it now satisfies the criteria.  Unfortunately, the student(s) are not awarded the badge.  Please help explain this nuance.

Hi  @geralyn_stephen ‌!  I sent you a DM but thought I'd also follow up here. It sounds as if something is not quite right with the module requirements or the way the rules were updated. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this. Feel free to contact us at help@badgr.io or reply to me directly.  Thank you! 

Hey Kim!  Thank you for responding.  Yes, I received your earlier message.  Unfortunately, classes begin on Monday, 1/08 and I'm working feverishly (in sub-zero weather) to get every thing ready.  So, I haven't had another chance to review and document.  Please let me get through next week and I'll followup with you.  -Geralyn

edwin_everett

I asked the Badgr Help if we would be able to manually award badges in Canvas in the future.  Here was the reply.

Great question, thanks for writing in. Yes.

This feature is actually coming later this week as part of an upgrade for Badgr Pro for Canvas. Now you can track badges not awarded through a Canvas module in your courses. Pro users (see affordable institutional pricing) will now see an option to add other badges they award to the list of those tracked in a course. These badges can be awarded in the easy award badge form in badgr.io outside of Canvas (see guide). We may add an award form for these badges to the Badgr interface in Canvas in the future if our Pro users ask for it.

Nate Otto
Director, Open Badges, Concentric Sky
concentricsky.com
he/him/his

I was not pleased that this is a "pro" account-only feature coming.  Awarding badges manually is the most basic of all possible badging functions in an LMS.  Schoology has it natively (without apps) and CanvaBadges used to. 

What gives???

0 Kudos

Hi, Edwin. Many of our free tier users award badges manually in Canvas by adding a module, adding the badge to the module, and then triggering completion of the module based on a single assignment grade that they may enter in their gradebook. They then trigger award by adding a grade above the completion threshold to the gradebook. This assignment may be weighted at 0% if you don't want this "grade" to contribute to the actual final course grade.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll continue to consider your use case as we make more upgrades to Badgr for Canvas and Badgr Pro for Canvas.

Of course awarding a badge manually is a very basic badging feature and may be done for free outside of Canvas, as I mentioned in my help ticket response. Tracking external badge awards from within Canvas is a feature that at the moment is included in the paid Badgr Pro option. Many of our forthcoming "advanced" configuration options will be available for pro users.

Nate Otto
Director, Open Badges, Concentric Sky
concentricsky.com
he/him/his

Thanks for the ideas. Are you positive that awarding a single badge to a student in badgr shows up in their Canvas account? I had some problems while experimenting in that area. As far as the suggested work-around, other students will see that dummy assignment and wonder why they have zeros or blanks.  Would be much easier just to have a settings area in the Badgr tab where check boxes exist in columns under the title of each badge and student names down the far left column.

I'm not averse to paying out of pocket for some extra bells and whistles on the apps that are at the core of my teaching. Heck, I bought all the Chromebooks in my 1:1 classroom (~$3k) out of pocket some seven years ago (still using them). But $150 to cover all my kids for a year for some extras on a badging app is a pretty tough sell. Maybe you guys should revisit your pricing structure. I'd go $20 max per year for a badging app that gave me full control of everything including a few extra gamification add-ons. Just saying, there are soooooo many teaching apps out there that are way overpriced when they could work like phone apps--$5 here, $10 there, and teachers would actually buy them without having to beg their admins every year for these little extras.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Ed

0 Kudos
aecinformatics

Very excited for the possibilities! I have used badges in the distant past - in higher ed they make a great way to encourage your students into desired behaviors (setting their notifications, for one).

michelle_lamber
Community Member

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but hopefully it will be moved if not 🙂 .. My apologies if this is off topic.

We are very much interested in using badgr for our badging platform but there is one key element that would be quite helpful.  Currently, the number of metadata fields that are exposed through Badgr limited.  It's my understanding that we can only access and or set the other fields in badges using Badgr's API (documentation at https://api.badgr.io/docs).  

Has anyone else looked into this as yet?  

Cheers,

Michelle Lamberson

UBC Okanagan

Michelle, a great deal of the metadata fields for badges are configurable from the interface as well as the API. If you could let me know which field you were looking at, we could provide more information on where it may be used. Or if it is one of the few not currently available in Badgr, understanding your needs will help us make sure that feature stays prioritized.

Cheers,

Nate Otto
Director, Badgr Platform, Concentric Sky
concentricsky.com
he/him/his

geralyn_stephen

We discovered a major issue with Badgr and their Badges application.  At our institution, our Student: Introduction to Canvas course awards badges based upon the completion of three (3) short modules.  Unfortunately, the badges do not post to the students' Badgr account for some time (up to three days, in some instances!)  This is an issue when is a requirement for many of our online courses. 

I entered a 'ticket' with Badgr and have yet to receive a response. As a result, our faculty is no longer requiring students to complete the course.  That is an issue because we can not ensure that all students have the fundamental skills necessary to navigate Canvas on our campus.  :smileycry:

0 Kudos

Hi  @geralyn_stephen ‌,

We received your help ticket request yesterday. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We haven't had any similar reports from other users, but we are looking into it now and will get back to you asap via our Support Desk.

@geralyn_stephen ‌ -

So glad we could find a quick resolution. As a note to those following this thread, although badges are awarded automatically, the instructor or student must trigger the badge check command.

The instructor can trigger the command by paging through the Progress view from the Badges menu. That will send a command to the Badgr server to check for badge awards for the 35 students that appear on that page. Page through all the students to check for all badges. If you have a large course, you can use the CSV export button to check the entire course at once.

Students can trigger a check for their own badges by selecting the Badges menu within their course or by viewing a badge placed in a module.

Kim, we can't thank you enough for taking time today to help us explore and resolve our issue.  We're up and running FULL STEAM ahead!!  -Geralyn

khammond
Partner
Partner

The Badgr team has created a Badgr Users Group in the Canvas community. Please join to share ideas, collaborate and get tips and updates. https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/badgr-users 

Hi   @khammond ,

Would you have any idea why the student email addresses wouldn't transfer to Badgr, or appear on badges in student view of badge details?  Students only see their email addresses and not names. Names do appear to teachers in the course and in csv files, but in badgr.io and for affected students, a long Badgr email placeholder appears.  It was suggested by support that the LTI app was installed as anonymous rather than public, but that is not the case. In one course, all badges have correct email address before and after one particular day but they do not appear for anyone given a badge on that day.  July 3 if that means anything to you!  All other badges were perfect.  Instructors can see the names of the recipients in Badges, but when a student needs to prove to a teacher they received a badge, the badge only displays the email placeholder.  In Badgr.io looking at the badges and recipients, we see the same email placeholder. 

It was very helpful to learn that badges don't update unless there's a badge request.  We will tell students to go to Badges after they complete the requirements.  It can take several hours to appear in my experience. But if the email address is wrong, that won't help them.  In another course almost all of the badges have incorrect emails, not limited to one day.

I am stumped about the bad emails.

Nancy

0 Kudos

Nate from the Badgr team here: 

The email address is the only identifier actually included in the badge. This is in order to keep the types of individual data we collect minimal, and because Open Badges affords extra identity protection for the recipient identifier (email) field. Teachers are sometimes shown a real name instead from within the interface because Canvas doesn't recommend showing email addresses to every teacher user. Students are shown their own email address, because this recommendation doesn't apply to them.

Whenever a teacher or student views the Badges page, they'll get an up-to-date view of badges they've earned, as it will check their progress and award any necessary badges when the page loads. Cheers!

Nate Otto
concentricsky.com
he/him/his

Thanks  @notto ‌.  Good to know that's why the name doesn't show on badgr.io or for students, and that it's Canvas that is displaying the name.  Have to say that's a good thing since so many emails are incorrect in badgr.io.  We would have no idea which students earned the badges.  Also good that the name appears in the .csv file.

I'd still like to know why so many email addresses are @badgr.io placeholders instead of the student's email address.

0 Kudos

Relating to the "incorrect" emails -- Canvas recently changed a feature of their API that makes the student email address unavailable to us in a location where it previously appeared. Some badges were awarded to generated fallback "@noemail.badgr" identifiers instead - We have a release coming out next Tuesday that adapts to the Canvas API change to get the email address from a different endpoint if possible. As part of the process, we will attempt to update existing awards to the correct email address, after which they will show up properly in badgr.io for both issuers and recipients. No action necessary on your part in order to get your badges fixed up next week.

Nate Otto
concentricsky.com
he/him/his

Thanks!  That's really excellent news, Nate.  Look forward to taking a look next Wednesday.  Fingers crossed it can fix the @noemail records.

0 Kudos
jacobtowne7

Thats great news, wish i could see the Badgr badges earned on the dashboard!

0 Kudos

@jacobtowne7 ‌ Feel free to upvote our idea for badges on the profileshttps://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11863-badges-on-canvas-profiles