cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glparker
Community Champion

Batch Un-enrollment for Canvas Manually Created Self Enrollment Course

We have developed a series of online workshops in Canvas that allow students to self-enroll. Each semester we would like to clear the enrollment of these course shells.   Some of them have over 700 students participating.    Is there an easy way of removing the students in a batch to recycle the course for the next semester?    Specifically, as the teacher of the course, as someone who doesn't have admin privileges.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
gnoack
Community Champion

Would it be easier to create a new course shell and import the content from the previous course?  Then you'd have a record of what was done in the original course.  It might be cleaner, too. Someone with more experience can comment on this, but I think removing students doesn't always clear all of their submissions or discussion posts, I think it depends on how you remove them, such as withdrawing them vs marking thier status as inactive. So you could run into some issues there. 

glparker
Community Champion

I suggested the same.   The main reason against this is the course is open for self-enrollment, and that self-enrollment URL is published in a lot of places that would be difficult to update.   

gnoack
Community Champion

Then I would make sure to withdraw the students.  This should be possible with an SIS upload. 

We had the same issue at our school, we had our website manager create a URL redirect on our server, so the link on every webpage stays the same, he just has to update where the redirect points to.

cholling
Community Champion

I agree with @gnoack I couldn't find a solution for deleting everyone in a course (and I didn't have nearly as many as you) so I resorted to doing them individually. However, for most manually created courses, I find it works best to create a new shell and import the content in. It keeps each course "pure" the way that it was taught. I also have had to go back in and confirm that someone took the course and that gives me continued access to that information. Using a new shell, also "picks up" any enhancements that Canvas or my institution has pushed out.