cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitney_bennett
Community Member

Batch add students to a section?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to batch add students to sections? If not, are there feature ideas currently open for adding this feature?

We have a course where students will, at a minimum, be in 3 sections. I would love to be able to either:

1. add students to all of those sections upon enrollment in the course (instead of providing one drop-down with section enrollment, there would be the option to add additional section enrollments)
  2. or to have a batch add feature in the course roster (instead of having to go in to each individual student's section enrollments, there would be an option to select multiple students, and then batch add those students to a section)

(Note: This is a course where we manually add students because it is not a course that students register for in our SES. No one in my department currently has SIS Import access.)

I wasn't able to find anything, but I very well could have missed it...

thanks Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whitney_bennett
Community Member

The Northwestern Canvas team gave me a workaround: add students multiple times through the add people tool. For example, let's say I have a group of 40 students for section A, and of those 40 students, 20 students should also be in section B. Using the add people too, add all 40 students to section A, and then return to the add people tool with the subset of 20 students and add them to section B.

It's not exactly what I was looking for, but it works.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@whitney_bennett ​, have you checked out the enrollments.csv in How do I format CSV text files for uploading SIS data into a Canvas account? You should be able to configure that report so that it accomplishes what you're after in a single upload.

Or does this...

Note: This is a course where we manually add students because it is not a course that students register for in our SES. No one in my department currently has SIS Import access.

...mean that you're trying to figure out how a non-admin would do this?

stefaniesanders​, Yes, I'm trying to figure out how a non-admin would batch add students to a section or multiple sections.

So, to continue clarifying what you're after,  @whitney_bennett , you're looking for something on the non-admin level that is more automatic than copying and pasting the formatted names/email addresses from a .csv into the Add People field of each section (as described in How do I add users to a course?). ​If so, then I think your answer is going to be to submit a feature idea for that--but perhaps someone with greater Add People skills than I have has figured it out and can give you a solution.

Yes, I'm looking for a feature at the non-admin level that will allow me to add multiple students to a section or multiple sections. We have one course with multiple sections where students are enrolled in at least 3 of those sections (each section is not it's own canvas course, it's one canvas course with multiple sections). As far as I can tell, when I use the add people field, I am only given the option to add each student or group of students to one section. After that, I must manually go in to each individual student and add them to their additional sections.

I'll wait to see if anyone else has a solution, and, if not, I'll look into submitting a feature idea. Thanks, stefaniesanders​!

lalesi
Community Participant

We'd like this for our clubs and special area classes that are not in PowerSchool.   It would be beneficial if the reading teacher could add students by their names not their email addresses

It looks like no one has any other solutions, my recommendation is to submit a Canvas Feature Ideas.

whitney_bennett
Community Member

The Northwestern Canvas team gave me a workaround: add students multiple times through the add people tool. For example, let's say I have a group of 40 students for section A, and of those 40 students, 20 students should also be in section B. Using the add people too, add all 40 students to section A, and then return to the add people tool with the subset of 20 students and add them to section B.

It's not exactly what I was looking for, but it works.

j_c_turner
Community Contributor

Did this get added to the list of ideas, it's something that would solve a problem for us. Staff want to set up multiple turnitin assignments to share out the marking, and their doesn't seem to be another way of doing this

nancy_delahoz
Community Member

I also need to add batch students to a section, instead of selecting one by one from the people list.  Please does any body knows how to do this without having to copy the names again?  Maybe the drop down menu should be able to give you the options to assing the student to more than one section?

I'm specials area teacher and there is around 158 students per grade.  I have each class separated per Homeroom teacher in Groups.  By groups I haven't been able to print/send grades to homeroom teachers.  

Please help,

ND