Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epierce1

Batch change dates

Jump to solution

I would like a way to batch update dates....I don't want to use Excel. Please make this possible. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, epierce...

I agree with  @d00386959  that DesignPLUS from CIDI Labs does include this capability, and it integrates nicely into Canvas (I've been trying out DesignPLUS over the past 2 1/2 weeks).  This is a paid product.  I know that you said you didn't want to use Excel, but if you are looking for a free option, then using a Google Spreadsheet following  @James ‌' document called Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page will be your best bet.  I wanted to post a link to this "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) for you in case other people reading this topic are also curious how it can currently be done via a Google spreadsheet.  James does an excellent job of providing directions on how to get started as well as includes short video tutorials so you can see exactly what to do.  Please consider taking a look at it.

Also, as James has mentioned in his document, this Feature Idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2214-adjust-all-assignment-and-quiz-dates-on-a-single-page is based on his document.  So, I would encourage you to review that Feature Idea as well to see if it aligns with something you would like to see in Canvas.  And, if so, go ahead and vote up on it and maybe add a comment letting Instructure know why this would be important to you in Canvas.

I hope this will be of help to you, Elina.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
d00386959

There is a tool you can purchase that does this as part of their package:

"The due date modifier lets you manage assignment dates from a single screen."

https://cidilabs.com/landing/design-tools/

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, epierce...

I agree with  @d00386959  that DesignPLUS from CIDI Labs does include this capability, and it integrates nicely into Canvas (I've been trying out DesignPLUS over the past 2 1/2 weeks).  This is a paid product.  I know that you said you didn't want to use Excel, but if you are looking for a free option, then using a Google Spreadsheet following  @James ‌' document called Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page will be your best bet.  I wanted to post a link to this "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) for you in case other people reading this topic are also curious how it can currently be done via a Google spreadsheet.  James does an excellent job of providing directions on how to get started as well as includes short video tutorials so you can see exactly what to do.  Please consider taking a look at it.

Also, as James has mentioned in his document, this Feature Idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2214-adjust-all-assignment-and-quiz-dates-on-a-single-page is based on his document.  So, I would encourage you to review that Feature Idea as well to see if it aligns with something you would like to see in Canvas.  And, if so, go ahead and vote up on it and maybe add a comment letting Instructure know why this would be important to you in Canvas.

I hope this will be of help to you, Elina.

0 Kudos

Is the one step option something Canvas can incorporate?

ACHIEVER * LEARNER * INTELLECTION * RESPONSIBILITY * FOCUS

Elina Newman, MSP, CPhT

epierce@southeast.edu<mailto:epierce@southeast.edu>

8800 O St, Room V6

Lincoln, NE 68520

(402) 437-2475

My email will, very soon, be changing to enewman@southeast.edu<mailto:enewman@southeast.edu>. Please update your records.

Hello epierce...

That is why the Feature Idea is out there...so that people can chime in and also consider voting for it...because it seems like a popular thing that people would like to see in Canvas.  Yet, our feedback here in the Community is not the only way that Instructure plans out what are priorities to work on.  Check out What is the feature development process for Canvas? for additional information on this.  The list of current priorities are here: Ideas.  While I do not know if this particular Feature Idea will be implemented any time soon, I would again encourage you to check out the steps outlined in  @James ‌' document that I linked to above.  It will save you lots of time.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Due Date Changer is a free tool (LTI) available on GitHub that your institution can install that allows teachers to change the due dates for multiple assignments simultaneously.

khargrove
Community Member

Hi Elina,

Canvas actually has a date shift feature when course content is imported.

shift dates in course import

1. check the options feature to enable
  2. shift dates
    • enter the beginning date of your upcoming term in the "change to" field
    • optional: use the ending date to compress or expand course dates from a short-term to a full-term course, and vice versa

This is the only time/place in Canvas where term dates can be shifted all at once.

Use the Calendar to confirm all dates have successfully carried over to the new term, and drag and drop to update dates if incorrect.

Cheers,
Kristin

This is what I've been looking for. It's not perfect but it's close to what I need for re importing multiple courses. Thanks!