cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amckale
Community Participant

Batch tool for assignment creation?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to batch create assignments? 

Is there a way to have sticky values so that, say I create an assignment with a value of 10 points, the next assignment I create has a default value of 10 points?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

amckale​, yes, this is totally possible to batch create assignments, but as far as I'm aware, only through the API (and some programming/coding). You could technically do it via the Gradebook - How do I upload changes to the Gradebook? - but I tried it and it doesn't work that well. You could create the name of the assignments and their point value, but you'd still need to go into every assignment to adjust the settings, provide assignment information, etc.

As for a sticky value, if you add assignments via the Assignment link/page by clicking the blue "+ Assignments" button (top right) it will remember your some of your settings. I don't see this in the documentation, but checked it and it did remember my points and submission type - How do I create an Assignment? (remember, to add it using the blue +Assignments button).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

amckale​, yes, this is totally possible to batch create assignments, but as far as I'm aware, only through the API (and some programming/coding). You could technically do it via the Gradebook - How do I upload changes to the Gradebook? - but I tried it and it doesn't work that well. You could create the name of the assignments and their point value, but you'd still need to go into every assignment to adjust the settings, provide assignment information, etc.

As for a sticky value, if you add assignments via the Assignment link/page by clicking the blue "+ Assignments" button (top right) it will remember your some of your settings. I don't see this in the documentation, but checked it and it did remember my points and submission type - How do I create an Assignment? (remember, to add it using the blue +Assignments button).

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

amckale, I know this doesn't directly answer your questions, but there are so many great ideas in this now-archived feature idea:

travis_thurston
Community Champion

The recommendation by stefaniesanders​ on the feature idea ​ is great resources. There is a great workaround that was published by  @James_Kocher_UF ​ that was suggested by  @sgraff  on Copying Items into a Course.​ Basically, you can copy an assignment back into your course to duplicate it. At my institution, we use a Canvas add-on called usudesigntools​, but more commonly known as kennethware​. You can learn more about it at USU Design Tools - FAQ​. I will include an animated gif below showing simple assignment creation using the Template Wizard.

CreateAssignments.gif