cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craiggines
Community Participant

Becoming an Admin of a Canvas Account

Jump to solution

Yes thank you it answered my question. I have another one. How does someone become admin of a canvas account? Is that a paid for thing?

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Craig,

I was able to locate your login activity in what is referred to as the Free for Teachers instance of Canvas.  This instance is freely available for anyone who wants to use it as a teacher and/or student but admin access is limited to employees of Instructure (maker of Canvas).  I was also able to identify your institutional affiliation and locate your training center in our system.  If you'd like to continue this conversation offline please direct message me or send email to scottd@instructure.com.

Kind Regards,

SD

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @craiggines ...

I have gone ahead and branched your reply from your other question, Gradebook Question, to a new question since the topic is quite different.  I hope this is alright with you.

To answer your new question, I am not aware that there is any additional cost to becoming an Admin for your school's Canvas environment. I guess the questions I would ask are (assuming you are an instructor):

• Why do you need admin access?
  • What information are you hoping to get as an admin that you cannot get as an instructor?
  • Have you spoken to current Canvas admin(s) at your school about this request?

This is the Guide that describes how to make an admin account for someone: How do I add an admin to an account? 

I hope this information is helpful to you, Craig.

craiggines
Community Participant

The one person who was possibly an admin has left and no one else is here. However I don’t think we use any type of organizational canvas. I have to check more. I am the schools only full time canvas IT person and there are many things that I cannot do without admin status like opening a concluded course to retrieve information.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

@craiggines 

One quick question. You said,

"I don’t think we use any type of organizational canvas."

Is your school using Free for Teachers accounts, or are you perhaps a self-hosting school? 

Let us know so that we can better help you.

Kelley

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Craig,

I was able to locate your login activity in what is referred to as the Free for Teachers instance of Canvas.  This instance is freely available for anyone who wants to use it as a teacher and/or student but admin access is limited to employees of Instructure (maker of Canvas).  I was also able to identify your institutional affiliation and locate your training center in our system.  If you'd like to continue this conversation offline please direct message me or send email to scottd@instructure.com.

Kind Regards,

SD

View solution in original post

Thank you, Scott!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@craiggines ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie