Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mreeves

Best way to set up classes

Jump to solution

I am completely new to Canvas. I'll be using a free Canvas account to teach a blended freshmen technology class. I am only teaching one section of the class and a colleague will be teaching 5 sections. I have created our course and have begun creating outcomes. I have also created sections within the course. We will be using the same outcomes for all sections and would like to be able to compare data across sections. We would also like to be able to use each other's content (modules) but may also want to work individually on some assignments. Are we on the right track for setting up our course or should we have the other teacher create a completely separate "course" for his sections?

Tags (2)
1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mreeves , I'm not an outcome expert, but I'm pretty sure you can only view outcome reports by student at the course level. This means you'd need to compile the results manually into an excel spreadsheet or something like that to do any real comparisons.

Yet, I'm there might be better ways to do things so below are some outcomes resources that might help or give you an idea of a better way to set things up:

Compilation of all the sessions (with video!) at InstructureCon 2015 that are related to outcomes and rubrics:

Verifying Student Learning with Outcomes

A Collaboration in Measuring Student Competencies and Outcomes in Canvas

Woodstock via the LMS: Canvas for American Studies

Herding Fish: Encouraging Faculty to Use Subaccount-Generated Outcomes and Rubrics

Orchestrating Instructional Design at the System Level

As for the Modules and assignments, you can't hide course content from specific sections of students, but you CAN differentiate which students see which assignments in Canvas. Here's a guide that can explain more on this - What do Differentiated Assignments look like in Canvas?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mreeves , I'm not an outcome expert, but I'm pretty sure you can only view outcome reports by student at the course level. This means you'd need to compile the results manually into an excel spreadsheet or something like that to do any real comparisons.

Yet, I'm there might be better ways to do things so below are some outcomes resources that might help or give you an idea of a better way to set things up:

Compilation of all the sessions (with video!) at InstructureCon 2015 that are related to outcomes and rubrics:

Verifying Student Learning with Outcomes

A Collaboration in Measuring Student Competencies and Outcomes in Canvas

Woodstock via the LMS: Canvas for American Studies

Herding Fish: Encouraging Faculty to Use Subaccount-Generated Outcomes and Rubrics

Orchestrating Instructional Design at the System Level

As for the Modules and assignments, you can't hide course content from specific sections of students, but you CAN differentiate which students see which assignments in Canvas. Here's a guide that can explain more on this - What do Differentiated Assignments look like in Canvas?

Hope this helps!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mreeves , did any of the information I found help answer your question?

Yes! "Setting Up Your Outcomes Workflow" was perfect! Thanks so much.

travis_thurston
Community Champion

@kona ​'s response is fantastic. If you have a Canvas instance set up for your institution or school, then you can create outcomes​ at the sub-account level. Then, you can import the same outcomes into both your course and your colleague's course. This would allow you to produce an outcome or competency report which would include all of the students who are taking the class. This can be downloaded as a csv to use in excel to create meaningful student data reports.