cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
housej
Community Participant

Best way to transfer content to different courses?

SHould I make a master course?  Should I just copy and past the materials?  I've got three Eng courses, all the same grade, all have students connected to power school, and all will be working on the same lessons as the same time.  So what's the easiest and quickest way to get the files, assignments, pages, etc. from one course to the next?

6 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@housej ​,

There are several way to handle this:

1.  You could cross list all of the sections into a single course How do I cross-list a course section in my account?

2.  You could create a master course and then copy that course into each of the other courses How do I import content from another Canvas course?

3.  If you have access to Canvas Commons What is Canvas Commons?​ you can use it to share content between courses.

At our institution, we would use the cross listing function with courses that are all working on the same content at the same time.

Hope this helps!

Robbie

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@housej ​, at our institution what we would recommend is to have all three courses combined into one big course - the individual "courses" would then be individual course sections in the main course. If this isn't an option at your Institution, then you could create everything in one of the courses and use the "copy course" setting - How do I import content from another Canvas course? - to move content into the other two sections. You could also make a master course and do the same thing, except copy the content into the other three courses.

One caveat, it is far easier to copy an entire course over into other courses at the beginning of the semester than to copy over a little at a time. Why? What we've found is that when only moving parts of one course into another it doesn't always put things where you want them in Modules and will sometimes not put assignments in the right place in the Assignment tab (Gradebook setup). This means you have to copy the content and then check and fix things that aren't exactly how you want them. Otherwise, it does work and we have faculty who use the copy course and copy parts of a course over all the time. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

housej
Community Participant

Thanks.  I'm checking this out.  We're new to Canvas this year. 

housej
Community Participant

My students are under People but don't show up as users in the courses I cross sectioned.  Let me get this straight.  I want to set up a master English II course and have my three five Powerschool synced Canvas courses show up there, so I only have to enter content once.  If this can be done, will new content automatically be synced to all of the linked or cross sectioned courses?

@Kona,

Presently, we use a master course and create copies for multiple teachers. When an update, adjustment, or broken link needs to be amended, we push updates from the master course into 5 teacher shells. We have also exported to commons and imported entire modules into classes. We have experienced that loss of control  that you (Kona Jones ) refer to when creating shells or importing models to existing shells. We have also experienced duplicates in the gradebook, having to reset prerequisites, number of quiz attempts, and the like,  as some of these items do not always complete the journey into the shell or import. So, there is always seems to be that maintenance to the shells. 

BURNING QUESTION: Is there a way to create multiple sections in the same course with the ability to assign a different teachers to each section, so that  individual teachers maintain their own section of the gradebook, grading queue, etc.?

Nicasia

BURNING QUESTION: Is there a way to create multiple sections in the same course with the ability to assign a different teachers to each section, so that individual teachers maintain their own section of the gradebook, grading queue, etc.?

Yes, add the students by course section and then when the Instructor gets added to a course (from People) there is a check boxat the bottom of the page that says, "Can interact with users in this section only." If you check this box then the Instructor will only be able to view and grade students in their assigned section.

InteractWithSection.jpg