cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael_armstro
Community Member

Beta? Crocodoc? Marking Annotations?

Jump to solution

How do I know if I'm using Canvas beta? How do I know if crocodoc is enabled? I am a K12 teacher currently using Canvas on my own and not connected to my institution. I don't easily see Crocodoc functionality in my experience with Canvas, but would love to be able to annotate student writing. I guess using google docs through the collaboration feature would be a workaround, but I'd like to be able to use Crocodoc.

Thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

Hello!

First the beta question: beta is typically for testing and courses are not taught from beta or used by students. Beta is really just for previewing upcoming changes to Canvas since we release every three weeks. The easiest way to tell if you're logged into beta is the URL:

https://canvas.beta.instructure.com

Unless you explicitly go to that URL you're not on beta. 🙂

As for crocadoc: the most likely place you'd use crocadoc is in the SpeedGrader and you don't have to do anything special to enable it; it's part of how SpeedGrader works. When a student submits a file like a doc/pdf/rtf as an assignment submission the tool used to display it and allow markup in SpeedGrader is crocadoc (you can see their logo up in the right corner of the document preview.) Elsewhere in Canvas files are previewed by utilizing and integration with box.

The above is true for the "Free For Teachers" version of Canvas you're using or an official institutions version.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​,

Crocodoc is not available in the beta version of Canvas and if I remember correctly it is not available in the Free for Teacher account either.  I am going to bring in  @scottdennis ​ and  @Renee_Carney ​ just for confirmation.

Robbie

Okay, I must be using the free teacher account. Would my best bet be using Google Docs through the collaboration option in Canvas? 

Thanks!

dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

Hello!

First the beta question: beta is typically for testing and courses are not taught from beta or used by students. Beta is really just for previewing upcoming changes to Canvas since we release every three weeks. The easiest way to tell if you're logged into beta is the URL:

https://canvas.beta.instructure.com

Unless you explicitly go to that URL you're not on beta. 🙂

As for crocadoc: the most likely place you'd use crocadoc is in the SpeedGrader and you don't have to do anything special to enable it; it's part of how SpeedGrader works. When a student submits a file like a doc/pdf/rtf as an assignment submission the tool used to display it and allow markup in SpeedGrader is crocadoc (you can see their logo up in the right corner of the document preview.) Elsewhere in Canvas files are previewed by utilizing and integration with box.

The above is true for the "Free For Teachers" version of Canvas you're using or an official institutions version.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Deactivated user, in case you haven't already looked it over, here's a link to the Canvas Guide on using Crocodoc in SpeedGrader: How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments?

Note that only the Online | File Upload submission type is supported, and the only file types that are compatible with Canvas are .doc/.docx, .ppt/.pptx, and .pdf. If your students submit any other file type, the Crocodoc annotation tools will not appear in the SpeedGrader pane, so if you want to use Crocodoc, make sure to enable the Restrict Upload File Types check box and enter the supported file types in the box that will appear.

Thank you so much!

Thank you! I've got it now!

silversn
Community Participant

Hi Michael,

What subject do you teach and what are your device platforms at your school. I have a paperless class room with 1:1 devices and I have a lot of experience with online grading and finding different methods of feedback. I have also done presentations at InstructureCon on being paperless and this year on assessment and feedback. If you would like some help or tips I can certainly answers questions specific to your area.