Big Blue Button - Distance Learning

Jump to solution
comtjm
Community Participant

Does Big Blue Button work reliably for students studying in Middle Eastern Countries (UEA, Qatar,....etc) where other web conferencing tools are now banned (e.g Skype for Business)? Also, can  students use it legally, i.e. not using work-arounds such as VPNs? We have a growing number of distance learning students in this region and I'm interested to know if anyone has experienced access issue due to government restrictions. #bigbluebutton

1 Solution
ffdixon
Partner
Partner

Hi Jonathan,

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton.  Since I work at Blindside Networks (the folks providing hosting for Canvas Conferences), I can't speak for Instructure, but I can try and answer your question.

We've seen issues with accessing Canvas Conferences from within the Arab states (for the reasons you pointed out).

The best answer I can give is to simply try it.  It may work, but then it might not.  We do have components in our infrastructure to help users connect behind restrictive firewalls, but if the firewall do a deep inspection of packets, this may not work.

Do you have the ability to have someone test from UEA, Qatar, etc. and let us know if it works for them.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Developer

View solution in original post