cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ptart
Community Member

Blank SIS ID for Manually Created Courses

Jump to solution

It is my understanding that the SIS ID is the unique identifier for a course. As the root-admin, when I "Add a New Course", the course is created with a name and course code but no SIS ID. This is the same with an account-admin for a sub-account. This has resulted in several courses with no SIS ID, the exact same name, and the exact same course code. I want to eventually be able to provision courses based on our SIS but then allow sub-account administrators, or even teachers, to create courses their own sandbox courses. I foresee many courses that look exactly the same on the outside.

Am I thinking about this wrong or is there a way to prevent this from happening short of and API integration?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattHanes
Community Champion

The SIS ID is a unique identifier for a course that ties the course to other information provided in the SIS import process. The SIS import process​ requires a bunch of different data via CSV files that all tie together with unique ID numbers that are generated from SIS Data.

Manually created courses have a unique course ID number as well as the SIS ID. When you create a course, it will generate a Course ID number unique to that course that can have the same name and course code as other courses. The course ID number is located in the URL when you navigate to that course. So the URL will look something like http://institution.instructure.com/courses/15406/

In that example, the 15406 is the unique course ID that can be referenced using the API if you do not have SIS integration.

If you choose to allow teachers and admins to create their own courses within sub-accounts, each course will have it's own unique URL even if the course names are the same. Unfortunately, the Course search box does not pull up a course when searching by the Course ID number, but it's pretty easy to just add it to the end of the URL instead of searching for it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MattHanes
Community Champion

The SIS ID is a unique identifier for a course that ties the course to other information provided in the SIS import process. The SIS import process​ requires a bunch of different data via CSV files that all tie together with unique ID numbers that are generated from SIS Data.

Manually created courses have a unique course ID number as well as the SIS ID. When you create a course, it will generate a Course ID number unique to that course that can have the same name and course code as other courses. The course ID number is located in the URL when you navigate to that course. So the URL will look something like http://institution.instructure.com/courses/15406/

In that example, the 15406 is the unique course ID that can be referenced using the API if you do not have SIS integration.

If you choose to allow teachers and admins to create their own courses within sub-accounts, each course will have it's own unique URL even if the course names are the same. Unfortunately, the Course search box does not pull up a course when searching by the Course ID number, but it's pretty easy to just add it to the end of the URL instead of searching for it.