Blank White Screen Showing for Student's submitted Google Slides Assignment

Jump to solution
karissakbolin
Community Explorer

I have assigned my students a Google Cloud Slides assignment that created a copy for each student in their Google account.  Students have submitted their work.  So, now I am checking using the speed grader and am not having issues with most students' work.  However, a select few students' submissions are showing up as a blank white screen as I've snipped below.  What is causing this.  My technology person had me clear my data, shut down Chrome and log back into Canvas, but that didn't fix anything. Any ideas of what is going wrong??

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.28.41 PM.png

0 Likes
4 Solutions
Waddles
Community Member

I came here to ask about this EXACT problem. Students are submitting Google Slides, and I get a blank page in Speed Grader. When I tested the assignment last week with fellow teachers, they were able to submit slides to my class, I was able to view their slides in Speed Grader, and the grades transferred seamlessly to the gradebook. Today? Blank pages. Canvas notifies me that assignments have been submitted, but when I jump to Speed Grader it says "No Preview Available." Any help would obviously be much appreciated!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Waddles
Community Member

Okay, I think I just figured this out. SpeedGrader doesn't appear to work for me with Google Slides. But -- the good news -- this does...

1. Go to Canvas.
  2. Click Grades.
  3. Click on the assignment you're grading.
  4. The assignment will come up in the Google Classroom environment.
  5. You can then click through the slides one at a time, giving each a grade.
  6. The grades will then transfer to your Canvas gradebook.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hank.

0 Likes
karissakbolin
Community Explorer

Hank, 

I'm glad you found something that worked for you.  We don't have Google Classroom; I still tried your method and it didn't work for me.  26 of my 30 students' submissions are fine.  It's just 4 students that are showing this way.  ???

0 Likes
SRIT
Community Novice

So this is what is happening for me... 

• Canvas is making an extra blank copy of assignments, for only some sporadic students.
  • When students go to click submit for the External Tool Assignment (where they cannot select specific files), Canvas is automatically pulling the blank copy.
  • Even if a student deletes the blank copy, or renames it, Canvas still pulls the blank copy.
  • This is a problem because when a student thinks they are "submitting" their work, on the teacher end it is blank.

This is happening to multiple students very sporadically. Any fixes for this? 

0 Likes