cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinezs
Community Member

Blocked Youtube

Jump to solution

We have Youtube blocked in our district with Lightspeed. We are under the assumption that using the LTI App for Youtube would unblock those videos for students to watch in Canvas. Is this possible? They are still getting blocked. Are we missing a step?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

Hi Stephanie,

So far as I know, Youtube in Canvas is meant to strip out the "view next video" and ads, but it still accesses Youtube for the content as usual so it would get blocked. Is it possible to have exceptions added to Lightspeed? If yes, you could try and add the gateway Canvas is using to access Youtube as an exception for this in Lightspeed. Just a thought.

Hope this helps,

Josh

View solution in original post

2 Replies
josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

Hi Stephanie,

So far as I know, Youtube in Canvas is meant to strip out the "view next video" and ads, but it still accesses Youtube for the content as usual so it would get blocked. Is it possible to have exceptions added to Lightspeed? If yes, you could try and add the gateway Canvas is using to access Youtube as an exception for this in Lightspeed. Just a thought.

Hope this helps,

Josh

View solution in original post

travis_thurston
Community Champion

I have to agree with  @josh_emmitt ​ on this one. Even if you're using the LTI integration they will be pinging YouTube for content which should ultimately block it for your students.

I noticed there was another discussion about YouTube being locked for learners in a discussion​, and  @KristinL ​ had some great alternative suggestions that may be helpful.