cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwitulski
Community Participant

Blocking/Disabling Speed Control Choice

Jump to solution

I teach American Sign Language and I am doing the final exams through Canvas, which is awesome. I was observing someone doing the exam and I noticed that they slowed down the videos, rather than watching it at the speed I set in accordance to their knowledge level. I did a search (maybe I didn't use the right words) for information on video speed control. Most were talking about the addition of the speed control. 

What I am looking for is a way to disable this feature for all my videos because if they slow it down, they're cheating (I can't do anything about it right now as I just found out while they were taking the exam).  When watching videos in ASL, I speed them up. 

If some of you were wondering how I found the speed control for videos, look at the bottom bar to the right (should be either 3rd/4th option from the right), click on that and it will show the speed.  I uploaded videos directly from the computer, no connection to YouTube, Vimeo or its type. 268447_CanvasVideoSpeedControl.png

Thanks in advance. #videospeedcontrol

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mvandevelde
Community Contributor

I think the most simple solution would be to speed up your videos befor you upload them. This way everyone has to slow them to 0.5x just to see it at normal speed.  

Mark

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @jwitulski ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since mvandevelde's reply on February 16, 2018.  Have you had an opportunity to review Mark's response?  If so, did his feedback help to answer your question?  Are you still looking for some helps/ideas with how to get rid of the speed controls?  If you feel that Mark's response has helped to answer your question, please come back to this topic to mark his feedback as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please let us know by posting a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.

One thing you might want to try is to create an account in YouTube and then upload your videos there.  Once that is done, there are options when harvesting the embed code to disable the option to "Show player controls".  This removes the ability to scrub through the timeline to certain parts of the video (you have to watch it from start to end), and it also removes the "Settings" gear icon which has options to speed up or slow down the video.

YouTube Embed

Basically, the only options for students are to play the video, "Watch later", "Share" the video, or get more "Info" (as shown at the top right corner of this screen shot).

YouTube Video

I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in quite a while and because there hasn't been any new activity here for about four months.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Joanna.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

7 Replies
mvandevelde
Community Contributor

I think the most simple solution would be to speed up your videos befor you upload them. This way everyone has to slow them to 0.5x just to see it at normal speed.  

Mark

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @jwitulski ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since mvandevelde's reply on February 16, 2018.  Have you had an opportunity to review Mark's response?  If so, did his feedback help to answer your question?  Are you still looking for some helps/ideas with how to get rid of the speed controls?  If you feel that Mark's response has helped to answer your question, please come back to this topic to mark his feedback as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please let us know by posting a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.

One thing you might want to try is to create an account in YouTube and then upload your videos there.  Once that is done, there are options when harvesting the embed code to disable the option to "Show player controls".  This removes the ability to scrub through the timeline to certain parts of the video (you have to watch it from start to end), and it also removes the "Settings" gear icon which has options to speed up or slow down the video.

YouTube Embed

Basically, the only options for students are to play the video, "Watch later", "Share" the video, or get more "Info" (as shown at the top right corner of this screen shot).

YouTube Video

I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in quite a while and because there hasn't been any new activity here for about four months.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Joanna.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

mvandevelde
Community Contributor

There is a possible code option for the HTML5 player also - attached.

You just need to run this in the Theme JS file.

Mark.

jwitulski
Community Participant

I haven't tried the suggestion and that is one option. I was hoping for a simple solution that wouldn't take up too much of my time. Since I teach high school, Youtube videos are out of the question on campus. I sign fast so the option suggested would be okay.

Joanna

jwitulski
Community Participant

Sorry been a while since checked this message. I will try the code and hope I don't mess up everything else.  Thanks.

Community Member

This is my question too and something I've been struggling with. I also teach ASL.  Did you figure out how to "speed up" your video before posting them as someone suggested? I don't know how to do that. Seems the second suggestion is awesome by disabling the settings but I would like students to be able to watch it more than once, just not slow it down to ssssllllooooowwwww motion. 

jwitulski
Community Participant

Since I am a native ASL user, I can sign at my normal speed or a bit faster so when I save it the students that move the speed to 0.5 will see it as I intend it to be at x1 speed. 

Another option and this depends on the video editing program you have is to increase the speed of the video and save it at that speed.