Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilana
Community Contributor

Blocking teacher acess to a module

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are a college that uses modules to create an entire course. Each subject has it's own module and they all sit in the one course.

The question i have is, is it possible to block teacher access to a specific module?

We occassionally have casual teachers teaching one subject who therefore only need access to that one module. We don't want to allow them access to other modules for various reasons.

Thanks,

Ilana

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @ilana ‌ - Unfortunately, no. A teacher in a course is a teacher in a course.  One thought for future experimentation is to divide the course into sections and then make the other instructors TAs in the section that they are not in charge of for grading purposes, at least, but I'm pretty sure that even a TA is allowed to have access to the rest of the course site, as section-dividing would only affect grading and student interactions, for the most part.  (SeeHow do I limit a user to only interact with other users in the same course section? )

I guess the obvious question would be: if they are different subjects why not just have different course sites?  (Though I imagine this is something you folks probably already talked about at length!)  You could always enroll the other teachers as "students" in the course site if they just wanted to be aware of what was going on but not allow them editing privileges.  

The final option would be creating a custom role, as outlined here:  How do I create course-level roles in an account?  But even then, I'm not too sure the permissions offer the granularity that many in the Community are eventually hoping for that will allow you to map it out just the way you'd like.  It may be worth a try on your test instance, though.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @ilana ‌ - Unfortunately, no. A teacher in a course is a teacher in a course.  One thought for future experimentation is to divide the course into sections and then make the other instructors TAs in the section that they are not in charge of for grading purposes, at least, but I'm pretty sure that even a TA is allowed to have access to the rest of the course site, as section-dividing would only affect grading and student interactions, for the most part.  (SeeHow do I limit a user to only interact with other users in the same course section? )

I guess the obvious question would be: if they are different subjects why not just have different course sites?  (Though I imagine this is something you folks probably already talked about at length!)  You could always enroll the other teachers as "students" in the course site if they just wanted to be aware of what was going on but not allow them editing privileges.  

The final option would be creating a custom role, as outlined here:  How do I create course-level roles in an account?  But even then, I'm not too sure the permissions offer the granularity that many in the Community are eventually hoping for that will allow you to map it out just the way you'd like.  It may be worth a try on your test instance, though.

View solution in original post

ilana
Community Contributor

Thanks Ken. I appreciate you taking the time to respond in great detail.

I have considered (and tested) some of these options but will look futher into the customised role.

My main concern is that i also want them to be unable to view & download the content.

Thanks again!

Ilana