cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Blueprint Dilemma

Jump to solution

We rolled out Blueprint courses to a large audience. We have had our share of challenges, but this one seems odd -- like I would not think it could be true.  In our courses, Quiz content and points are both locked.

We do not have an issue with the locked status, but we do not see any way we can let professors view the answers to the quiz questions.  They can see the stems and pools, but they cannot view answers (in quizzes with over a certain number of questions).  The View Details button in the Quiz question sections disappears and we can see no way to view the questions and answers.

Does anyone know if this is accurate - and if there is any wrokaround or trick we are missing??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Yes,  @nancy_lachance ‌, apologies from me, as well, since I usually try to at least take a stab or two at blueprint questions when I see them.  (Though this was originally posted at a rather busy time for us!)  Thanks to  @kona ‌ for rousing up a few of us Community members to look at your question again.  (Or for the first time...alas.)

I have repeated what you have seen on a sample course site.  I imported a large question bank of 90 questions and locked/blueprinted quizzes and points on the blueprint master and then did a sync.  At first, I thought that this was ordinary behavior with any large quiz....one can never view the details on more than 25 questions with the current version of the quiz engine, after all, blueprint or not. But once one clicks on the pencil icon on a question to try to view the correct answer (assuming there even IS a pencil icon...which is not always the case) the pencil icon completely disappears!  Here is screen capture of that very thing; note the area circled has no pencil icon:

Question bank imported into blueprint course

I had to go back to my own blog post from a year back to remind myself of this little fact: when quizzes are locked, points are not editable.  (That's what I wrote originally.)   Well...as I just realized because you point this out....if the points are not editable, that also means nothing is editable!  I clearly never even considered that at the time.  That very same pencil icon controls both the points and the editing and with it, of course, the ability to see the correct answer. Yikes!  All the better reason to consider NOT locking quizzes, I suppose.

So, now what?!?  I do not have a really good answer other than this:  "Have to tried Quizzes.Next yet?"  I have not, so I cannot say with certainty if this issue will continue to hold true with the new quiz engine, but it may be worth a try, at least on beta or test if you have access to it.

I'm sorry I can't think of any other work-arounds, but indeed this seems to be an unintended side effect of locking quizzes.  It may be worth reporting to Instructure if you have not done so already; at the very least to verify that they are working on a solution for this with Quizzes.Next.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nancy_lachance , I'm sorry that your question has been sitting here for so long without a response. I've shared this with some of our Blueprint experts in the Community, but I was also wondering if you ever figured out a work around to this.

Thanks! Kona

kblack
Community Champion

Yes,  @nancy_lachance ‌, apologies from me, as well, since I usually try to at least take a stab or two at blueprint questions when I see them.  (Though this was originally posted at a rather busy time for us!)  Thanks to  @kona ‌ for rousing up a few of us Community members to look at your question again.  (Or for the first time...alas.)

I have repeated what you have seen on a sample course site.  I imported a large question bank of 90 questions and locked/blueprinted quizzes and points on the blueprint master and then did a sync.  At first, I thought that this was ordinary behavior with any large quiz....one can never view the details on more than 25 questions with the current version of the quiz engine, after all, blueprint or not. But once one clicks on the pencil icon on a question to try to view the correct answer (assuming there even IS a pencil icon...which is not always the case) the pencil icon completely disappears!  Here is screen capture of that very thing; note the area circled has no pencil icon:

Question bank imported into blueprint course

I had to go back to my own blog post from a year back to remind myself of this little fact: when quizzes are locked, points are not editable.  (That's what I wrote originally.)   Well...as I just realized because you point this out....if the points are not editable, that also means nothing is editable!  I clearly never even considered that at the time.  That very same pencil icon controls both the points and the editing and with it, of course, the ability to see the correct answer. Yikes!  All the better reason to consider NOT locking quizzes, I suppose.

So, now what?!?  I do not have a really good answer other than this:  "Have to tried Quizzes.Next yet?"  I have not, so I cannot say with certainty if this issue will continue to hold true with the new quiz engine, but it may be worth a try, at least on beta or test if you have access to it.

I'm sorry I can't think of any other work-arounds, but indeed this seems to be an unintended side effect of locking quizzes.  It may be worth reporting to Instructure if you have not done so already; at the very least to verify that they are working on a solution for this with Quizzes.Next.

View solution in original post

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Thank you, Ken. This is what we have found. Allowing faculty to edit questions was not a real option, but we have heard that Quizzes.Next will solve the problem. That is just a really really hard path to cross for us Smiley Happy.  I will post after I get access and can actually confirm that the problem is resolved with Quizzes.Next.  (This was reported to Instructure, so they know the issue and were the ones who indicated the problem was corrected in Quizzes.Next.)

Thanks for the quick (compared to mine after 3 months!) reply, Nancy.  That's good to hear.  We're not quite ready for full deployment of Quizzes.Next, not the least of which is because of the lack so far of a lockdown browser implementation, but I think that will come with time.