cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garciah
Community Champion

Blueprint courses and homepage

Jump to solution

Can blueprint courses be used to change the homepage of courses from "pages front page" to "course modules"?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Thanks for the shout-out  @chofer ‌!   @garciah ‌, you ask a really good question!  The answer is basically yes, but there are so many caveats that you want to think twice before you're under the impression that it will always, 100% of the time work:

• If the associated course has not had anything done to it yet (it's the first sync, basically), that setting will work.
  • It is considered a setting, so if the destination course has already been worked on, you have to be sure to enable the checkbox to Include Course Settings when doing the sync.
  • Changing a setting (such as that) is not in itself enough to "trigger" a sync.  In other words, if you are well into the term and you decide that you want your blueprint to feature modules on the home page, if nothing else has changed in the blueprint, merely changing that setting is not enough for it to be synced.  It's going to look for something else to "trigger" the sync dialog box:  a new page, an edited page, etc.
  • Most importantly:  there is nothing to prevent the instructor of an associated course from changing the home page back again to whatever s/he wants it to be.  Settings are not a blueprinted item by themselves (see above).  So while other changes to the blueprint will trigger the sync--and the ability to enable that checkbox--that setting will indeed carry over to the associated courses, but (again) there is nothing to prevent the instructors from selecting something else as the home page on their end.

I hope this all makes sense, Heather!  I always recommend playing around with a few of these things on Test or Beta to try things out.  Also, I heartily recommend you also check over  @lindalee ‌'s wonderful blogs starting here: Lessons Learned about Blueprint Courses: Introduction  and her Instructurecon18 presentation here:  .  Great insights from someone at a (much) larger institution than my own and therefore has a lot of front-line experience.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @garciah  Thank You for posting your question.  I'm not too sure of an answer for you, but I am going to tag  @kblack ‌ in this response because he's done quite a bit of testing with Blueprint course.  He may have a solution for you.  Good luck!

kblack
Community Champion

Thanks for the shout-out  @chofer ‌!   @garciah ‌, you ask a really good question!  The answer is basically yes, but there are so many caveats that you want to think twice before you're under the impression that it will always, 100% of the time work:

• If the associated course has not had anything done to it yet (it's the first sync, basically), that setting will work.
  • It is considered a setting, so if the destination course has already been worked on, you have to be sure to enable the checkbox to Include Course Settings when doing the sync.
  • Changing a setting (such as that) is not in itself enough to "trigger" a sync.  In other words, if you are well into the term and you decide that you want your blueprint to feature modules on the home page, if nothing else has changed in the blueprint, merely changing that setting is not enough for it to be synced.  It's going to look for something else to "trigger" the sync dialog box:  a new page, an edited page, etc.
  • Most importantly:  there is nothing to prevent the instructor of an associated course from changing the home page back again to whatever s/he wants it to be.  Settings are not a blueprinted item by themselves (see above).  So while other changes to the blueprint will trigger the sync--and the ability to enable that checkbox--that setting will indeed carry over to the associated courses, but (again) there is nothing to prevent the instructors from selecting something else as the home page on their end.

I hope this all makes sense, Heather!  I always recommend playing around with a few of these things on Test or Beta to try things out.  Also, I heartily recommend you also check over  @lindalee ‌'s wonderful blogs starting here: Lessons Learned about Blueprint Courses: Introduction  and her Instructurecon18 presentation here:  .  Great insights from someone at a (much) larger institution than my own and therefore has a lot of front-line experience.

View solution in original post

garciah
Community Champion

Hi  @kblack ‌, thank you SO much for such a thorough response--and for the additional resources. I really appreciate the caveats as they give me a lot to think about. I'll be sure to check out the recommended resources.

kblack
Community Champion

Glad I could help, Heather!