cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Bookshelf / Vital Source

Jump to solution

I see that Canvas supports Vital Source / Bookshelf app for use with accessing e-books. I need to start testing this and wondered if anyone had some guides/ tips on

a) installation / issues

b) how to ...

c) hot tips

thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

I have now tested Bookshelf by Vital Source who provided some sample ebooks for us to use and guided us through the process

1. Installation straightforward but needed Vital Source to change some settings their end to ensure student full access to resource
  2. If set up and only use app at account level then
    • Bookshelf appears in left navigation of all courses (Bookholder)
    • As add resources (each one has to be added as an app) then anyone can see all ebooks added whether in their course or not
  3. Best practice add ebooks and deeplinks at Course level only
    • Add app via Course Settings (only need to do this once) v
    • Add ebook links via Module > add external tool  > select app added (ensure select open in new tab)
    • Once added, publish link and open it to 'adopt' ebook required from Bookholder screen that appears
    • You can add deeplinks from the ebook itself (edit > modify bookmark > select chapter required

I have full instructions for 2 as well as 3

Once we decide to use ebooks will work with VitalSource for train the trainer sessions and other workshops to manage account, brand and tailor quick user guides and forced account set up ( necessary as have users in Blackboard and Canvas and do not want double billing).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hello vrs07nl​,

Sorry nobody saw your question up until now.  In the future it would be better to post questions about using Canvas over in Find Answers

I'll go ahead and move your question over there now.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

vrs07nl​,

Where you able to find an answer to your question?  It does not look like the users community has any experience with this application.  I am going to go ahead and mark this question as assumed answered.  This will not prevent anyone from replying or finding this question.

Robbie

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

no response sadly

we will be testing soon and i will report back

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

I have now tested Bookshelf by Vital Source who provided some sample ebooks for us to use and guided us through the process

1. Installation straightforward but needed Vital Source to change some settings their end to ensure student full access to resource
  2. If set up and only use app at account level then
    • Bookshelf appears in left navigation of all courses (Bookholder)
    • As add resources (each one has to be added as an app) then anyone can see all ebooks added whether in their course or not
  3. Best practice add ebooks and deeplinks at Course level only
    • Add app via Course Settings (only need to do this once) v
    • Add ebook links via Module > add external tool  > select app added (ensure select open in new tab)
    • Once added, publish link and open it to 'adopt' ebook required from Bookholder screen that appears
    • You can add deeplinks from the ebook itself (edit > modify bookmark > select chapter required

I have full instructions for 2 as well as 3

Once we decide to use ebooks will work with VitalSource for train the trainer sessions and other workshops to manage account, brand and tailor quick user guides and forced account set up ( necessary as have users in Blackboard and Canvas and do not want double billing).

View solution in original post

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

we ended up not being allowed to use VitalSource so have done with Kortext instead - and have used LTI subacocunt settings to enalbe deeplinking from text on canvas page