cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jihara
Community Member

Boolean operators and date options for prerequisites?

Jump to solution

I am using what is basically mastery-model approach in which students must complete several content items sequentially by a due date. Once all of the items are complete (i.e., the module is complete), the next module is unlocked. However, once the due date has passed I want all students to have access to the next module. Is there a way of specifying:

Unlock module 3 IF (module 2 complete) OR (date has passed)?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jihara , unfortunately Canvas doesn't currently have this type of built-in logic for Module prerequisites. It would be really cool if it did though! The only work around I can think of is you either going into the gradebook and for the students who haven't done the assignment either excuse the assignment or give the student a zero. So yes, it would be manual, but yes, it would also get them into the next Module.

I did a quick check of the Canvas Feature Ideas​ and didn't see anything that included a date for release Module content that worked in conjunction with the prerequisites feature. You might consider creating a feature idea for this!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jihara , unfortunately Canvas doesn't currently have this type of built-in logic for Module prerequisites. It would be really cool if it did though! The only work around I can think of is you either going into the gradebook and for the students who haven't done the assignment either excuse the assignment or give the student a zero. So yes, it would be manual, but yes, it would also get them into the next Module.

I did a quick check of the Canvas Feature Ideas​ and didn't see anything that included a date for release Module content that worked in conjunction with the prerequisites feature. You might consider creating a feature idea for this!

View solution in original post

jihara
Community Member

Thanks, Kona! My workaround was going to be to remove the prerequisite for the later module manually after the due date has passed. I think this will work, though I dread the thought of forgetting and not having the new content in front of some students in the period when it's supposed to be current. [Never mind that it's their problem for not keeping up with the work, but that's another issue for another place.]

I'm brand-new to Canvas, so I'll hold off and lurk for a while before throwing new feature ideas into the fray.