cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsmith18
Community Member

Broken Images After Uploading

Some of the images I am uploading show up as broken and do not display. I have tried multiple work arounds like trying to use screen shots, moving my images from the flashdrive to the hard drive, saving as different files like png.  I haven't had any issues in the past.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Tags (1)
37 Replies

Hi Leigh Anne,

Thank you for posting this. I hope others will join us in submitting a support request on this; I think this might help convey the sense urgency (which I am certainly feeling as I see images appearing/disappearong while working on my course for next semester). Perhaps it would be helpful if we all listed our support ticket case numbers here. Then, if others who submit subsequent support requests included these case numbers in their support request, it might make it easier for Engineers to track this problem down (not reinventing the wheel each time a request is submitted)?

Here is my support ticket information: Canvas Support: Embedded Images - Case #02672254 [] [ ref:_00DA0Ibsk._500A0ZCw5V:ref ]

Just a quick update...

I emailed Canvas to check on the status of my ticket about this issue. Here is the 12/17/17 response:

Thank you for checking in. Our engineers are still working on this case. We do not have additional updates at this time. This ticket is still on our radar. You will be notified once we have more information.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Canvas Support
support@instructure.com

ref:_00DA0Ibsk._500A0ZCw5V:ref

I would ask that anyone who is also experiencing this problem to PLEASE submit an official Support Request to Canvas (and maybe also reference the number above?). With so many instructors likely 'on break' right now, I worry that some may not discover the problem until much closer to semester start time (so are not reporting it). My hope is that more official requests now may = more techs working on it, and may head off potential panic later. If this remains unresolved at the start of the new semester, it will be a real problem for anyone who (like me) uses embedded images with hyperlinks for course navigation and/or embeds images in quizzes. 

Here's ya go!  Case #02675969...

It's still an issue...

Here's the most recent response, which now it appears as if they're sending a "resolved" ticket notice (even though it definitely isn't resolved).

The've elevated it to an L2 - Support

"I understand that some users experienced trouble while displaying images during a quiz. We do have a current reported behavior that we are investigating, as _________ mentioned, where we are seeing some images appear as their alt text or broken image boxes. Talking with ____________ she relayed what you were describing as a .png appearing but no image. This behavior does appear to be similar to what we are investigating. Were you able to take any screen captures of those instances that we can look at? 

I have been looking at the quiz itself today and it appears that the version of the quiz has been modified and I am seeing student submissions of varying versions for the quiz. When a student starts a quiz their attempt is the current version of the quiz at the time. If the quiz is modified after they have started, they remain on that original version until they submit their current attempt and start another. Unfortunately, this makes the troubleshooting of what is happening nearly impossible as the changes in data means that a user might not experience the behavior that was originally occurring.

Looking at this submission of the quiz, from Version 30, that was submitted from "x student" I can see on Question 4 there are no graphs in the submission. I inspected, within the browser elements, that submission within SpeedGrader to view the HTML of the answers, and in doing so found that there was no HTML present at that time.

However, another student submission, from Version 10,  does display the images and inspecting the questions I found HTML present for the images. So version 10 did have images but version 30 did not, the current version of the quiz is 45.

In conclusion, it looks like we are running into a couple different issues. First, the behavior with missing images and text like ".png" appearing that we are currently tracking and investigating. And second, some of the quiz versions did not include the images at all so some students were not seeing it for that reason. I am happy to take a further look into the .png image missing issue but will need additional information. First, which students were seeing this particular issue? When specifically did they experience this? If their attempt is still active, are they still seeing it? Finally, as mentioned above, do you have any screenshots of the behavior that you can share with us?

Looking forward to any additional information that you can provide. If you have any additional questions please let me know."

----

Any updates from anyone else?

#canvassupport

Thank you for including your case #02675969 Leigh Anne! Smiley Happy I will link this to other places as well - for example, "Images not Posting on Canvas Quizzes" (submitted by Jayson Rigsby on 12/16/17)

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/91081-re-images-not-posting-on-canvas-quizzes?commentID=9108... 

robert_byng
Community Participant

This has been a problem since the original post, Oct 2017. 

I am still experiencing images not displaying properly. They import fine and survive the editing process, but the images turn in to some cryptic icon with .jpg or .png as a label. Specifically I have a Canvas quiz named, "Math 3 Cume Review A." 

Question #4 from Preview mode.

It should contain the following information:

Exam View Question #4

I export it using Exam View's Blackboard 7.1-9.0 feature. Then import it into Canvas using the "Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file" feature. It comes across fine, survives my editing, previews fine and then tests fine in Student View also.

The next day, the images were lost as per the preceding example for both myself and my students. Therefore the assignment is a bust. (FYI... transferring and editing and debugging for errors can take one to two hours for a single 25 question Canvas quiz. If this doesn't get fixed, then I won't be able to use it in my classroom.)

Something I noticed...

1. I can 'find' the Canvas Quiz in my Assignments, Quizzes, Calendar and Modules without any problem.
  2. But, I cannot find any evidence of the Canvas Quiz in my Files.
  3. The associated Question Bank created during the import process exists in one class with all the required images. The same question bank does not get copied over to the other class (I teach two classes with the same high school prep) when the Canvas Module gets imported from the first Canvas Course to the second one after all the debugging is finished.

I am guessing that the images are supposed to be stored in my course files somewhere, but got lost. Shouldn't they be in a sub-folder under the quiz itself? I cannot even find a folder associated with this Canvas quiz.

Hello Robert,

I think there are two different issues here. I will have to leave the second part of your question to someone more qualified to explain the intricacies of Quiz & Question Bank copying. However, as to the issue of missing images...

Sadly, many of us are experiencing this problem right now Smiley Sad  I have been asking that anyone who is also experiencing this problem to PLEASE submit an official Support Request to Canvas, and to include the case numbers that others have posted here in the community in their suppost request (for the engineers working on this to reference). Then, once Canvas replies to your request and you receive a ticket number, it would be great if you could add your number to our list, so that others could include your number. Here are some of the case numbers we have so far: #02672254, #02675969, #02687703. #02667582, #02676804, #02688690, #02690931, #02696853The idea is that Canvas will then be more aware of both the urgency and scope of this problem. Here are a few links to other recent conversations associated with this issue. These links could also be included in a  support request.

Why are my jpeg images disappearing?!!! 

Images embedded in Pages disappear/reappear at random? 

Images not Posting on Canvas Quizzes 

(very) odd embedded image behavior 

With so many instructors likely 'on break' right now, I worry that some may not discover the problem until much closer to semester start time (so are not reporting it). My hope is that more official requests now may = more techs working on it, and may head off potential panic later. If this remains unresolved at the start of the new semester, it will be a real problem for anyone who (like me) uses embedded images with hyperlinks for course navigation and/or embeds images in quizzes. MANY THANKS to everyone who is providing us with case numbers and/or including this information in their official support requests!

Kimberly,

Can you lead me to the right place to create a support ticket. I was unable to find it on my own.

Fyi… I was in the middle of re-typing all my equations and math expressions using the Canvas equation editor and replacing the imported images when the remaining imported images disappeared right before my eyes! It was almost as if they expired or something.

Best regards,

Bob Byng

Of course. Once you login to your Canvas LMS, click on "Help?" from the Main Menu on the left. The select "Report a Problem from the 'dropdown box' that opens. You nay want to submit two separate reports: one for the image problem and one for quiz copying issue you mentioned earlier. Good luck! 

262851_pastedImage_1.png

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

I just discovered that the course menu navigation tab links I had previously disabled (hidden) have suddenly reappeared. I also noticed that each tab has a line underneath it. This is not true in student view (just instructor view). but it is different than what I am used to seeing. Though I am still missing some embedded images, I am wondering if phenomemon this is a function of Canvas engineers working on our images disappearing issue, or if it something new that I should report. Has this happened to anyone else?

eduard_romea
Community Participant

It also happening when you tried to link some file in a question