Browser crashes when opening external tool

Jump to solution
IshanSubedi
Community Member

Context

We have an instance of Canvas on our server. We have an external tool hosted on a remote URL. The external tool is a Frontend App that only contains an index.html like the below:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Hello World</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>
Hello World
</h1>
</body>
</html>

Environment

Canvas Instance: https://canvas2021.labster.us/
Browsers: Chrome 101.0.4951.54

Steps to Reproduce

1. Go to the homepage of a course.
  2. Create a new module.
  3. Add a new item to the module. The item should be an external tool. (In our case it's just a frontend containing the plain index.html).
  4. Open the newly created item.
  5. Observe that the browser crashes.
  6. Now refresh the page.
  7. Observe that it works this time.

I have also recorded a video to show all of this.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello @IshanSubedi 

Thanks for providing that information and getting back to us. It is strange it works on Firefox or other browsers but crashes when loaded on Chrome. Likely there is some extension or setting on Chrome that is causing the disconnect. You probably have, but have you tried in an incognito window or clearing your cache and cookies? Because it is a custom external tool you have built, there may be little Canvas Support can do but you are certainly welcome to contact them and open a case as previously mentioned. Additionally, you may need to have an IT team look into this further, but it does appear that the issue is stemming from Chrome directly if that is the only place you are experiencing the error. I'd certainly open a case to get Canvas to look at it directly!

In Chrome
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click the three dots
Click settings
On the left, choose Privacy and Security
Then, clear browsing data
At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time. I suggest at least 4 weeks
Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
Click Clear data.

View solution in original post

0 Likes