Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hedbergskan
Community Participant

Bug report area for administrators

Jump to solution

Dear all,

we at Lund University are wondering where  to report bugs. Perhaps it´s different places depending on your role in Canvas? I found this question, but I see only an answer regarding the specific bug in the question and not where to report it.  In the end there is also an administrator asking the same question as me without any replies. 

Apologies if I just missed the obvious area where to post,

All the best

Maria

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @maria_hedberg ‌, anything that is suspected to be a bug needs to be submitted through the Report a Problem option of the Help menu to Canvas Support; this holds for all users, including Canvas admins. If the Report a Problem option is not available on the user's global navigation menu, they should follow the support process that the school has defined for its users.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
robotcars
Community Champion
  1. Your CSM is probably your first tier support, letting them know about the issue lets them check with other CSM's and then can let you know if they are seeing this elsewhere. If it's common, they will probably push a ticket and resolution for you.
  2. Canvas Field Admins, can enter a ticket at https://cases.canvaslms.com/
  3. Come here and report it, see if it's common, and it will likely get escalated magically?
  4. If you're dealing with source code, are finding a bug in the source, Issues · instructure/canvas-lms · GitHub 
  5. Additionally the Canvas Dev & Friends - Instructure Tech Blog Mailing List and IRC have open discussions about issues.
  6. canvasdatahelp@instructure.com if you're having issues with Canvas Data Services
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @maria_hedberg ‌, anything that is suspected to be a bug needs to be submitted through the Report a Problem option of the Help menu to Canvas Support; this holds for all users, including Canvas admins. If the Report a Problem option is not available on the user's global navigation menu, they should follow the support process that the school has defined for its users.

View solution in original post

carroll-ccsd‌, just a few quick points of clarification: Please know that option #2 is only available to Canvas Field Admins, i.e. only to select few people here, and #3 is not accurate, as there is no avenue for escalation from this community to Canvas Support—and support needs to inspect the environment in which the bug is occurring, necessitating the need for an actual case to be opened directly from the person(s) experiencing the suspected bug. Using the Report a Problem option on the Help menu is the best way to get quick attention on the issue.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@maria_hedberg ‌, the discussion to which you linked gives the recommended approach.

robotcars
Community Champion

Good to know. We have however created a well titled resource for future reference. :smileygrin:

Thanks for making that redaction!

hedbergskan
Community Participant

Thank you both of you! The report a problem option in our help menu at our university currently holds our own "project helpdesk e-mail address" and not the link to Canvas. We are in our early adopter phase and wanted to know about problems our instructors encountered - but I know see that we need to make some changes so that it works as intended.  

It´s really excellent that we get so quick answers here in the community  - again, thanks a lot. 

Best,

Maria

Hi  @maria_hedberg  

Our "Report a Problem" link has connected to our own internal Canvas Support for almost 7 years, and we like it that way. Very few tickets are reported in Canvas compared to what we had in previous LMSs, but the vast majority of them are not really Canvas failures. They are things like, "I forgot my password", "I don't see my course(s)", or worse "It's broke". Many relate to instruction or instructional content that has nothing to do with Canvas. By having these come to use first, it is easier and quicker to manage these at the local level. Anything that rises above the mundane, and actually indicates a Canvas problem, we kick up the hierarchy to Canvas Support.

You, also, may want to leave your settings as they are.

Kelley

So… there is no public database of bugs that one as user is expected to browse before submitting an issue (to avoid creating unnecessary duplicates), just a minimal "report a problem" (which one is supposed to use often and early) in the help tab? For an open source system that touches upon both computing and academia, this strikes me as being a rather unusual way of handling things, but I suppose business logic might favour it.

I would however advise adding some sort of "bug report" link to the top level of community.canvaslms.com, even if that only takes one to a guide explaining the overall process—I'm h...Jing." (include a link to a screendump and use something like Jing, where Jing is a download link) for m...