Bulk Change Observer Notification Preferences

Jump to solution
mwatson2
Community Novice

Our SIS dumped in parents as observers in all of our courses. This is fine, but it automatically makes the notification frequency set to "Notify me right away" upon grade changes. We would prefer the parents have the opportunity to opt-in to receiving notifications if they choose.

Is there a way to mass change all observers' notification settings to "Never"?

I should note that I've tried to accomplish this with a few tools already to no avail. I'm relatively new to Postman, but I don't see an obvious and easy way to pull in all our current course's observers and change their notification preferences at once. This feature is not already built into this Python Canvas API wrapper (which I love by the way), and I'd prefer to know if a relatively simple way to do this has already been discovered before I embark on tinkering with it.

1 Solution
mwatson2
Community Novice

I think I've written a solution for this in Python. Given a set of term_ids, it pulls all courses, gathers all observers, and changes every notification preference to "never."

I would appreciate any help improving this if anyone cares to sift through it. Here it is on Github.

* Edit: It was dumb of me to post the code before, as I have already changed it. My most recent edit is to remove the code and link to it on Github.

View solution in original post