cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flora_woratsche
Community Member

'CALCULATE BASED ONLY ON GRADED ASSIGNMENTS" QUESTION

Jump to solution

I am writing in reference to the check box marked "calculate only based on graded assignments" that appears on individual student grade summary; the "Grades for ____(name)___"  report.  I used a points system, and the ONLY point total that matters (and therefore the only percentage that matters) is their final point total.  I do not want the grades to be "calculated based only on graded assignments" because  this often makes the percentage score higher than it should be.   I have students who don't hear it when I say that the percentages they see on those "Grades for" reports are incorrect because they are based only on your scores for completed items.  In other words, a student may have completed only a fraction of the course work, but if they completed 3 out of 10 quizzes and got full points on all three, they will think they are getting an A because they earned 100% of the points they attempted.  Never mind that they didn't do the other 7 quizzes, the term paper, exams, other work, etc...     Is there a way to turn this off... I can click it off while viewing the grade report... but I want that to be the default...  and I certainly don't want students who have completed 20% of the coursework to think they will  pass the course because their Grade Summary says they have 80%...  (i.e. 80% of the 20% they completed)...   Please advise.  Thank you.  

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I totally get what you are saying about entering 0 grades after an assignment is due.. but I baffled as to why, when I specifically set my gradebook to points rather than percentages, the system still calculates percentages rather than simply adding up the points earned at any given point. In other words, I can set my "defaults" to accommodate the system that calculates a percentage when I've already told that system I don't want percentages.... OR, the system could be corrected so that it default to points only when "points" have been selected rather than percentages...simply add up the points earned so far.. .and simply leave those percentages out of the student's grade summary altogether. Why even have that check box marked "calculate only based on graded assignments" that appears on that individual student grade summary if I can't "uncheck" it and have it stay "unchecked"? In the meantime, I suppose I will have to set all my defaults to 0... I assumed I was just missing a setting in the system somehow, not that the system couldn't even be set to "points only"... Let's continue this conversation, though.. I think Canvas should know about this issue... Smiley Happy Thank you everyone.

The most basic question is not what is best, but who shall decide what is best. - Thomas Sowell

View solution in original post

@flora_woratsche ‌ are you referring to the scores shown for weighted assignment groups and the final grade?

The values for the weighted assignment groups are based on percentages, the value represents the percentage of points earned based on points available.

The final grade is based on the grading scheme, which is also based on percentages.

Thinking about how the math works, it makes sense to me that these values would be represented by percentages.

That being said, I can definitely see how displaying the points accumulated for each weighted assignment group would be very helpful, both to the instructor and to the student.  The final grade shows both the percent and the letter grade.  It seems that it would be possible for Canvas to display the point value for each of the weighted assignment groups, as well as the percent (they must already have the value queued up since the calculated the percentage, right?).  This should be a simple change as it involves no new calculations or new logic on the backend.  Have you considered creating a new idea to promote this view of the grades?

24 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As far as I'm aware there is no way to turn this off. My recommendation is that if you really want students to view their grade this way then you should go through and set the default grade for every assignment as 0. This would give the students an accurate grade in the course at all times. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@flora_woratsche , my workflow over the semester included entering 0 grades for each assignment, discussion, and quiz the day after the graded activity was due. If it was an assignment or discussion, I entered zeros as part of normal grading through SpeedGrader; if it was a quiz, I entered the zeros directly into the Gradebook. If you have a large number of zeros to enter for a particular assignment, you can apply a default grade to that assignment through the Gradebook by following the instructions in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10150-415255002  

garth
Community Champion

This is turning out to be a common misunderstanding among faculty that I work with.  In fact, looking at several gradebooks at the end of this Spring 2017 semester, I realize it is a bigger misunderstanding than I realized.  

I get it, if the instructor doesn't enter a grade, what is Canvas supposed to do, assume a zero?  But maybe the student has been given an extension, thus the grade simply hasn't been entered yet.  

Automatically grade the students with zero's after the due date?  But maybe the instructor just hasn't gotten around to grading yet, this is a common scenario.

Should Canvas "assume" grades for a student?  

Or should the instructor be in control of the grades as he/she sees fit?

In my opinion, a student who sees a zero will be more motivated than the student who sees an empty grade.

The empty grade suggests that the assignment can still be turned in, and that they have not yet been evaluated.

A zero strongly suggests that the student has been evaluated, and they are not getting credit.

Big difference, particularly if you have parents monitoring progress.

How do you effectively communicate to instructors the importance of entering zero's to clearly communicate a student's grade?

This is a great subject, I look forward to this conversation, thank you for posting.

I'm glad you brought that up,  @garth . Entering a zero promptly was always an important part of my process. If students have their grade notifications set to "right away," they'll get a quick wake-up call. And since I used a weighted assignment group gradebook, they immediately see the impact on their grades, regardless of how their notifications are set. Last, it often prompted the student to contact me, thereby opening a dialog and promoting engagement.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We send email reminders to faculty throughout the semester with this information. It really is in faculty and students best interest to have the zero in place of the student didn't do an assignment. Otherwise the student isn't seeing an accurate grade and can't make appropriate decisions about studying, getting help/tutoring, or even dropping the class. 

snugent
Community Champion

You can hide the total from the students. This will also turn off the only graded/add graded option as well. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9927  

Hello,

I totally get what you are saying about entering 0 grades after an assignment is due.. but I baffled as to why, when I specifically set my gradebook to points rather than percentages, the system still calculates percentages rather than simply adding up the points earned at any given point. In other words, I can set my "defaults" to accommodate the system that calculates a percentage when I've already told that system I don't want percentages.... OR, the system could be corrected so that it default to points only when "points" have been selected rather than percentages...simply add up the points earned so far.. .and simply leave those percentages out of the student's grade summary altogether. Why even have that check box marked "calculate only based on graded assignments" that appears on that individual student grade summary if I can't "uncheck" it and have it stay "unchecked"? In the meantime, I suppose I will have to set all my defaults to 0... I assumed I was just missing a setting in the system somehow, not that the system couldn't even be set to "points only"... Let's continue this conversation, though.. I think Canvas should know about this issue... Smiley Happy Thank you everyone.

The most basic question is not what is best, but who shall decide what is best. - Thomas Sowell

@flora_woratsche ‌ are you referring to the scores shown for weighted assignment groups and the final grade?

The values for the weighted assignment groups are based on percentages, the value represents the percentage of points earned based on points available.

The final grade is based on the grading scheme, which is also based on percentages.

Thinking about how the math works, it makes sense to me that these values would be represented by percentages.

That being said, I can definitely see how displaying the points accumulated for each weighted assignment group would be very helpful, both to the instructor and to the student.  The final grade shows both the percent and the letter grade.  It seems that it would be possible for Canvas to display the point value for each of the weighted assignment groups, as well as the percent (they must already have the value queued up since the calculated the percentage, right?).  This should be a simple change as it involves no new calculations or new logic on the backend.  Have you considered creating a new idea to promote this view of the grades?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @flora_woratsche ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since May 9th.  Have you had an opportunity to review all the above feedback that you've received?  If so, did one of those replies help to answer your question?  Or, are there still questions you have as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help and feedback, please come back to this thread to post an update so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you.  For now, since there hasn't been any new activity in this discussion topic for almost two months, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from asking questions or posting additional comments related to your question.  I hope that's okay with you, Flora.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!