cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haley_gunn
Community Member

CANVAS in VET

Hi CANVAS Legends, 

I am very interested to hear the success and the troubleshooting others have applied in contextualising CANVAS to the Vocational Educational Sector in Australia. 

I have done a brief search and couldn't find answers I was looking for.

In particular I am interested in 

- adjusting and customising the language settings ( assignments vs assessments) 

- creation of teacher only sections where answer guides are stored 

- tracking Evidence of Participation 

- any other tips or tricks that you have used to streamline the experience for both students and teachers using CANVAS for vocational courses. 

I look forward to any suggestions or experiences that you have had that can assist me in making CANVAS work for our context. 

Cheers, 

Haley Gunn 

2 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @haley_gunn  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I don't have an immediate answer for you but wanted to let you know that we have a dedicated group for VET in the Canvas Community: Vocational Education and Training‌. I've already shared your question with that group, so you don't need to take additional action just now. If you'd like to join the group to participate in it directly, you can easily do so by clicking on the Join Group option from the Actions dropdown at the upper right of the home page for the group.

kerributtery
Community Participant

Hi  @haley_gunn ‌, and thanks for sharing to the VET group stefaniesanders‌.

You probably need some custom CSS / Javascript work done to change any of the navigation items such as assignments to assessment (and I'm not 100% sure what you can change there - I have had one client change the name of one of the items on the global navigation bar).

Teacher only sections is easy - all you do is leave the page/module unpublished. This makes it only accessible to teachers and not to students. Anything you want to provide for teachers (marking guides, mapping, etc) can go on unpublished sections of the course (I would usually put this at the top of the course to make it easy for them to access).

There's a little Canvancement you can install in relation to looking for evidence of participation as it will show page views. Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course  will provide you with steps to install a feature to download a CSV of all access to pages for course. There is another way of accessing this information but right now I can't remember the link to that one. Someone else might be able to comment with it.

Do you have an integration with your Student Management System? That can certainly streamline the process. And deciding how things will best suit your RTO in terms of course = qualification or course = unit or course = cluster. This article by  @clim  will give you lots of info on the options here: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/vet/blog/2019/01/13/considerations-for-course-creation-in-voc... 

Hope some of that is helpful!

Cheers

Kerri